• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dont know what else to do =( U/D

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
It's Crystal she really isnt herself anymore :( shes no longer teh rabbit who used to come and greet me me everytime i went to the hutch or lick me everytime i put my hand to her, shes been checked over by the vet and besides her teeth shes fine but shes constantly looking depressed, no longer binkys and her eyes really are looking so lifeless its breaking my heart its like someones taken my Crystal away and replaced her with a robot :( shes eating fine and everything shes just changed personality wise i just want my old Crystal back :cry::cry: i have tears streaming down my face just writing this :cry:

shes only 3 yet shes really acting and looking like an old woman :(

Last edited:
Is she spayed? Has she been blood-tested/scanned etc etc. Tumours & pain etc can change a buns personality

You say she has problems with her teeth.... what exactly? Has she had x-rays done?

Sometimes rabbits who are experiencing discomfort will not always exhibit typical clinical signs i.e going off food....tooth grinding etc. It may well be that even if the vet says her teeth are looking fine she may still be experiencing discomfort. My lop was recently behaving this way and the vet wasn't really listening when I insisted something wasn't right. She thought because his teeth 'looked not that bad' and his temp was normal that he was ok. After he had a dental because I knew something was wrong, he has now picked up again but has needed to be on metacam.

her 2 back molars need done every 4/5 weeks because they are growing that fast but shes been diffrent for the last 6 weeks or so and its really sad to see her this way i cant take pictures anymore because they show how sad and dull she looks :( all she does now is eat and sleep :? shes free range in teh garden 6 hours every day and she eats grass and sleeps under a bush and thats it :(

her and Misty never groom each other its more of a tollerent relationship between them but before Crystal was bonded with Misty she used to attack every rabbit i tried her with so was single for 2 years Misty was the first rabbit she accepted... but to be fair who could resist such a handsom boy!

forgot to add she has had a mouth xray done she had this done after her first dental because her gums were swallon and woulnt go down if that makes sense :? the xray showed everything was ok but that was a good 4months ago.

Would definately push the vets to run some tests hun, Its really horrible seeing them so drained of life :( Sending big hugs X

I would say her problems like with her teeth then. I would also push for another x-ray to be done and possibly ask the vet to put her on metacam to see if that will make a difference. Having dentals so frequently can sometimes be quite stressful for some rabbits whereas other will bounce back like nothing has happened. When I had a bunny who had chronic dental disease and required dentals every four weeks I had her on metacam and ranitidine permanently. Her case was probably very different from Crystals though.

I agree that pain relief could make all the difference. I have had a few bunnies like yours and they are often back to normal after a few days of metacam, even if we have never found the cause of the pain.

been to the vets and it turns out Crystals Tempreture is quite high going from what i told him he thinks it could be either an infection inside or maybe arthritis but didnt say anything about how he was going to test for either :? (it was a diffrent vet today) shes had two injections an inti inflamitry (sp) and an anti biotic one ive come away with baytril and if she doesnt change he wants to see her again but he spoke about if the baytril didnt work he'd like to try something a little stronger that wasnt licensed for rabbits which worries me abit :? would that do any harm to her at all? like i said it was a diffrent vet and i really dont know how good or bad he is :?

been to the vets and it turns out Crystals Tempreture is quite high going from what i told him he thinks it could be either an infection inside or maybe arthritis but didnt say anything about how he was going to test for either :? (it was a diffrent vet today) shes had two injections an inti inflamitry (sp) and an anti biotic one ive come away with baytril and if she doesnt change he wants to see her again but he spoke about if the baytril didnt work he'd like to try something a little stronger that wasnt licensed for rabbits which worries me abit :? would that do any harm to her at all? like i said it was a diffrent vet and i really dont know how good or bad he is :?

Its just that there is hardly anything licensed for rabbits, most vets (well, most good vets...) will be willing to use stuff thats unlicensed but they'll be pretty sure that whatever they use is completely safe for buns :) Sort of a good outcome from the vets visit I guess, there is nothing worse than knowing something is wrong but not being able to pinpoint what - at least the vet is on the case now, he sounds pretty good. Healing vibes to Crystal XX

Back