• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help; Poll of poss link gender/EC head tilt

Gender related Head Tilt/EC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
I was chatting to a couple of people recently and mentioned that of my EC buns only the males had been through the 'head tilt' symptoms, the females had gone on to suffer more in the long term with kidney failures, but the males were the ones that had had 'acute' head tilt attacks - and oddly enough then gone on to live happily ever after..

I wondered whether this was something other people had had experience of? I know it sounds desperately unlikely that the symptoms (or even eventual outcome) could be different according to gender but felt it was worth pursuing.

I cannot ask all the different permutations with one poll so for now woukd like to ask whether your EC related Head Tilt cases have been male or female.Note it is only EC related (not ear infections),

The poll also askes whether you have had EC without head tilt in male/female.

You can choose as many options as you like.

If you would like to add a comment (eg I have had 3 head tilts, only one female but 2 male) then e-mail me.

Not totally sure where this is heading - but any info on EC helps!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for those extra comments Sooz - - already there seems to be a pattern on the male/head tilt - but very very small sample so far!!!

If we do get some kind of link , even if for now no-one understands why, it may help in realising that females often have 'silent' head tilt (ie are not showing the most dramatic early symptom).

But am awaiting lots more poll answers!

:D Hi could someone tell me what other symptoms to look out for, as thought that head tilt was the first common symptom.Sorry to hi-jack parsnip.x:)

:D Hi could someone tell me what other symptoms to look out for, as thought that head tilt was the first common symptom.Sorry to hi-jack parsnipbun.x:)

Hi Jacks-Jane: no that doesn't mess things up at all - I made it multiple options because I wanted people to have the options if they had seen them all. I have never had head tilt in females - only males, which is one of the reasons for the poll to try and find any variations or pattern!

Can you remember at all whether you have had roughly the same numbers?? (sorry to dredge up sad memories).

Hi Jacks-Jane: no that doesn't mess things up at all - I made it multiple options because I wanted people to have the options if they had seen them all. I have never had head tilt in females - only males, which is one of the reasons for the poll to try and find any variations or pattern!

Can you remember at all whether you have had roughly the same numbers?? (sorry to dredge up sad memories).

I had two Does, Emily and Jane :)rolleyes: ) who developed a headtilt as part of an 'active EC'. Both recovered but were left with a permanent very slight 'tilt'. About 3 years after their (seperate) headtilt episodes they both developed renal failure :cry: *possibly* as a result of the EC. Jane also developed hind leg paresis

Billie ( Buck ) had multiple problems- he had a severe headtilt and nystagmus during his 'active EC' episode. Billie was also epileptic and had Pasteurellosis. He developed all these problems during his first year of life. But he lived for almost 8 years and passed away peacefully in his sleep having suffered a stroke leaving him with a paralysed front leg the year before he died. Billie never had any renal problems.

Nomad (Buck) has had 2 episodes of active EC. He has not had a headtilt but became urinary incontinent with hind leg weakness. He appears to have made a full recovery from both episodes.

Janex :)

I'm not voting on this, as it's not been confirmed by my vet but...

I have reason to believe Lucifer (doe) is a carrier for EC and have noticed a few times when she's been cleaning her ears she's had a few "mini" head-tilts where she's struggled for a few seconds to right her head - luckily nothing else has happened yet.

Bumping this up as we are all thinking about EC now.

Hoping to get more replies. It may seem a whacky question but I think there is a link.

Back