• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head Tilt?

LaLa

Alpha Buck
As this is the first time I've ever had a house bun, I'm not a 100% sure what is classed as Head Tilt? I have read books whereby it says that the bunnys head twists over to one side and they may fall over.

Occasionally Honey may go into her cage or over to a corner and she flops sideways with her head first and then she gets up, to me it looks like she is about to lay on her side.

I only see this very occasionally so not sure if it is just my bunny feeling very tired or if I should be concerned?

Also I've just tried to look at her teeth (what a nightmare) and the top look like they slightly overhang the bottom but she is eating fine. Am I just being a very protective mummy?

:)

Hiya, just thought I'd bump this to the top.

Not sure about head tilt, it doesn't sound like it, but I'm sure someone else will post a comment.

If you have any doubts, I'd take Honey to the vets for a check up :)

i think that sounds more like a happy flop.....I think head tilt is continual, gradually getting worse and worse but don't quote me on that.

Hi,

It doesn't sound like head tilt, but if you want reassurance please consult a vet.

Panacur can be given as a routine treatment as a preventative for EC.

As for the teeth, the top and bottom don't exactly meet. The bottom teeth meet a peg at the back of the top teeth, so don't worry about that :)

Thanks guys.

Just sometimes I read things on here and It just makes me worry.

As I said she only does this every now and then so hopefully she is just bunny flopping. :)

Hi

from one over-protective bun mum to another - this sounds just like a happy flop and not at all like head tilt!!

Also the teeth do not quite meet as we might think of 'meeting' (ie like our molars). They sort of just 'slip over each other' at the front (at least thats what it looks like - though actually they meet a peg).

Is that a pic of her on your profile? She is beautiful :love:

Yes that's my baby! She is such a good girl, I have her on my lap most nights. She loves having her nose and chin rubbed.

She is about 5 months old and I'm waiting for the change!!! :)

Hi

from one over-protective bun mum to another - this sounds just like a happy flop and not at all like head tilt!!

Also the teeth do not quite meet as we might think of 'meeting' (ie like our molars). They sort of just 'slip over each other' at the front (at least thats what it looks like - though actually they meet a peg).

Cheers

I do worry as it is new to me and I just don't know what I'm looking for half the time. I guess I would know if something was wrong! Mummys instinct! :)

She is lovely, sounds like you've got a great bond with her :)

My last female bun circled me and nosed me a bit when she was around 7 months - she was quite a large dwarf lop :)

She is lovely, sounds like you've got a great bond with her :)

My last female bun circled me and nosed me a bit when she was around 7 months - she was quite a large dwarf lop :)

Yeah she has always been affectionate like coming up to me and the other half and giving us lots of licks and following us but she really likes sitting on our lap now. In fact she almost begs for attention and to come up on our lap.

I didn't realise bunnies were that affectionate, maybe it is because she is the only bun! and I also think she is secretly grateful that I picked her out of her brothers as she was tiny. :)

I wouldnt think this is head tilt, my bunny has head tilt.....this just seems like a way of your bun relaxing!

Still better to ask than not know and be worried.....and keep an eye out for these things

Yeah she has always been affectionate like coming up to me and the other half and giving us lots of licks and following us but she really likes sitting on our lap now. In fact she almost begs for attention and to come up on our lap.

I didn't realise bunnies were that affectionate, maybe it is because she is the only bun! and I also think she is secretly grateful that I picked her out of her brothers as she was tiny. :)

LOL! This sounds a little like Kiki although I've only had her for a few days! :) she is also quite small but I think she just loves attention, jumps on your foot and puts on her cute face :lol: whereas Hiro likes to do his own thing and digging! :)

LOL! This sounds a little like Kiki although I've only had her for a few days! :) she is also quite small but I think she just loves attention, jumps on your foot and puts on her cute face :lol: whereas Hiro likes to do his own thing and digging! :)

How old is Kiki and Hiro?

This is a recent pic of Honey.

FromLynseyscameraMay08393.jpg

How old is Kiki and Hiro?

This is a recent pic of Honey.

FromLynseyscameraMay08393.jpg

She is such a sweetie! Like a ball of fluff :love:

They're both only 8 1/2 weeks old, I'm so proud of them. When they're old enough I want to clicker train them and eventually become house bunnies (hopefully by then Hiro will calm down his digging)

I've just noticed you're in Dorset, there's not many RU members near me, I'm in Wiltshire :D :shock:

I've just noticed you're in Dorset, there's not many RU members near me, I'm in Wiltshire :D :shock:

I've noticed that there are not many people on RU from Dorset and surrounding counties! I live about 5 mins from a place called Christchurch.

Only seems like yesterday that Honey was that young! She is still a baby but can't believe the last few months have gone so quick! Have fun :)

Back