• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PAH vets for spaying?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone used companion care for spaying?

My two are going in in two weeks....

They have advised the usual....feed and water as normal...they will be in for a day, pick up at tea time, bring some food etc etc...

xx

Hiya,

I may also be going to Companion Care in about 8 weeks, mainly because they don't have anything to do with PAH other than being in their stores - they are a seperate service.. plus all our vets are in the middle of town and it's a really hassle to park/carry buns around town.

I've had a look at their website - their is a couple of vets in mine who have bunnies so I feel a little better :)

I'd also like to know if anyone have opinions either way on this.

Thanks

I would advise you ask them several questions before finally deciding on them:

for example:

Do they ever loose any under aneasthetic?

What anaesthetic do they use in buns? (this is always a good test)

How many do they do a week?

Personally I would not use our local one. but each practice will have its own vets and some may be rabbit savvy.

When you say the 'usual' I take it you mean they told you to feed and water the rabbit right up to the moment you take it in for the operation ? If they said anything about not feeding then cancel appt right away.

(sorry but couldn't quite decide what you meant by the 'usual' . . just me being thick).

I would advise you ask them several questions before finally deciding on them:

for example:

Do they ever loose any under aneasthetic?

What anaesthetic do they use in buns? (this is always a good test)

How many do they do a week?

Personally I would not use our local one. but each practice will have its own vets and some may be rabbit savvy.

When you say the 'usual' I take it you mean they told you to feed and water the rabbit right up to the moment you take it in for the operation ? If they said anything about not feeding then cancel appt right away.

(sorry but couldn't quite decide what you meant by the 'usual' . . just me being thick).

Yeah feed and water as normal etc etc....
I will ask them the questions dont you worry!!

xx

i think that as they are a large chain there have been many differences of opinion and vets vary from practice to practice, make sure they can answer the questions adn you are happy with the vet who will do the procedure in which case it should be fine x

It entirely depends on the individual practice and the special interests of the vets who work there. I do now go to a cc vets near where I live because I was badly ripped off by another independent local practice (and there were lots of other things wrong with it too but I shan't go into it here!)

So I moved to cc. cc are wonderful the vets i deal with are so compassionate and kind, they give me lots of options when it comes to surgical procedures and certainly do not plump for the most expensive procedure as the "only option". I would say a spay is fairly routine treatment but I would recommend you take a visit first before committing, if you can. It is so important to have an understanding vet that is on the same wavelength, I cannot tell you how relieved I am to find such a good vet that is so nearby as well. helen

Back