• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting

Graeme27Uk

Warren Scout
My female rabbit Smudge seems to be moulting lots at the moment. However its not even moulting, mostly focused around her hind quarters. It looks like she is wearing sort of skirt. :)

No matter how much we brush her there are always clumps of hair ready to come out.

Is this normal?

Sounds like shes moulting to me! :D My X lionhead looks the same just now. He's in half moult mode - his front half has moulted its just his bum left :lol:

B always moults,ive been told thats cos shes a houserabbit,dont know if thats true.She seems to moult more than my other bun or is it just cos shes white that it shows up more?!When i take her to the vets i come away with a moustache if ive got lipgloss on!!:lol:

Sorry I can't answer but I thought I'd post to say that Tango does this also if this helps. He's always got a tufty bum! I thimk he's done and then he starts again.

My last bunny Harvey used to look like he'd been cut in half and stuck together again - the line where he was moulting moved down his back to his bum as the fur came out.

My two current bunnies don't moult in the same obvious way - though they do both moult loads.

my buns moult in odd ways.

Honey has a hoizontal line and I think has moulted upwards of that but her hair seems to travel to the bum and form felted matts....she's quite a fluffy bunny.

Sooty moults in huge clumps all over and I am plucking him every day and still more comes off. They are very smooth tufts and it's like I'm picking out handfuls of hair. The most common place for the tufts are on his behind. He's a very smooth shiny bunny.

Rosie shows no sign of moulting other than a colour change. Her fur did take 6 months to grow back after her spay so I suspect she doesn't moult much otherwise she'd be bald.

Back