• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rosebay Willowherb & other diet questions

leong

Warren Scout
Hi,
Does anyone know if this is safe for rabbits to eat? Been through a couple of books and couldn't find a definitive answer. Reason I ask is we are slowly moving our buns from a pellets/hay diet to a fully natural one as we have a fairly large cottage garden with loads of herbs etc (and thankfully live right next to a big meadow). They are currently eating the following daily:

Unlimited meadow grass
Unlimited hay
Sage
Thyme
Lavender
Apple Mint
Mint
Parsley (limited)
Fennel
Oregano
A handful of sunflower seeds
Dandelion (limited)
Strawberry Leaves
Blackberry Leaves
1/4 an apple daily

We've moved them off the pellets due to constant dental work being required, now that they are on the fresh stuff the problems have pretty much gone away.
Does the above list sound ok? I worry a bit as the only protein they're getting is in the sunflower seeds!

Willow was a french lop who lived til almost 7years,had not 1problem with her teeth and her diet consisted of loads and loads of Timothy,meadow,grass hay and dried grass.She had a handful of excel pellets in morning and as much veg as she could eat for 4hours in the evening.Her main veggies were carrots[i know they are high in sugar but never did her any harm]and tops,spring greens and parsley.she also had a mineral/salt lick to gnaw on.If its their teeth your worried about this diet is excellent.Barley is on a similar diet and in almost 2years[shes 20months] shes never had any problems with her teeth and when she had an xray for her paw her teeth were checked whilst she was under GA and vet said they were perfect.B is not on the exact diet as willow as shes on a low calcium diet due to cystitis.

A handful of sunflower seeds
1/4 an apple daily

Sorry, I don't know about rosebay willowherb, but I do wonder if the two items above are too much. They are very high in fat and sugar respectively which could have longterm implications. I'd have thought a sprinkling of sunflower seeds once or twice a week and the 1/4 apple as a weekly treat would be healthier, but no doubt someone with greater knowledge will come along soon.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know about rosebay willowherb, but I do wonder if the two items above are too much. They are very high in fat and sugar respectively which could have longterm implications. I'd have thought a sprinkling of sunflower seeds once or twice a week and the 1/4 apple as a weekly treat would be healthier, but no doubt someone with greater knowledge will come along soon.

It's for two bunnies by the way :)

I don't know about willowherb for rabbits, but the goats and horses go mad for it and it is safe for them to eat, so I would think there is a good chance it is OK for rabbits.

Back