• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I change his behaviour?

Noah's Mummy

Young Bun
When I first bought my bun, he would let us pick him up and would sit still to have cuddles on my lap. As he got older he became more alert and wasn't so happy about being picked up. Now he will sit forever on the floor and accept cuddles and being stroked - even grinds his teeth but still isn't happy to be picked up. He has never bitten and doesn't attempt to bite - more just scarpers away! He puts up such a struggle that we have given up trying. Is this just his nature or will I be able to have him in my lap again one day? He has been neutered.

i think a lot of buns dont like being picked up, which is no suprise, as they are only ever picked up by predators.... in the wild....tho they groom each other so enjoy being groomed by us....they only buns i found who really didnt mind being picked up was my big softie french lop, but he was nearly as big as me.. so i guess i was no threat lol

My story is the same. Murphy would sit on my lap for literally hours and loved being picked up but at about 5 months he changed completely and now we don't pick him up at all. He is still affectionate and purrs all the time and loves being stroked just not being picked up!

As rabbits are prey animals, they don't like being picked up.

Bailey loves it, whereas marsha is ok once cought but doesn't like it partic!

Why do you want him on your lap so much?Having a bun sidle close upto you and lay so close you cant move without disturbing her is bliss but then thats just my opinion.

It's rarely a "positive experience" for a bun to be picked up unless they've associated being picked up etc with a reward, e.g. bunny run time, some apple/raisin.

I wouldn't push it if your buns not interested, but could try picking up a paw at a time, two paws then a little bit of apple/carrot for about 10 mins a day, it will be very gradual though.

Even if he doesn't get to the stage where you can pick him up, you'd should have a greater bond :)

It certainly wasn't positive for my two on Saturday! They got picked up, taken to the vet and had their scruffs jabbed! Maybe that's why they don't like it. Bad associations. :lol::lol::lol:

One of mine likes to be petted and will put his nose down so you can stroke him and will let you stroke his body from ears back.

Other bun would practically pee herself to get away from you. Although lately, because she has realised she gets something to eat, she will 'allow' me to touch her nose for a few seconds and occasionally, I get to stroke her body.

They are just individuals like us all.

Back