• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

IS there such a breed?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
When i got my rabbit I was told she was a "dwarf lionhead". I have since been told there is no such breed as a dwarf lionhead and she will grow to be a full size rabbit.

Who is right? Is there a dwarf lionhead kind of rabbit? Lola was tiny when we got her - but she growing at a huge pace.:shock:

Do you have a photo of her? I have never heard of a dwarf lionhead. Maybe they meant a cross between a dwarf lop and a lionhead? Dwarf lops are not as small as their name suggests. Is she a lop or does she have uppy ears?

Whilst there is no such breed she could well be a combination of a lionhead and a dwarf.

Depending on which parent had the stronger genes she may well grow more like one than the other.

Image002.jpg
[/IMG]

This is her at 6 weeks old. I dont mind - I just need to prepare for a bigger cage!:shock:

To my knowledge there is no such actual breed as a Dwarf Lionhead.......but my GOODNESS, is she ever CUTE!!!!! :love:

I expect he was just using the word dwarf so that you would know it's not a full-sized rabbit. The lionhead is a small breed.

I think a lot of people call them "dwarves" because the lionhead breed is so small; the breed standard weight (e.g .for showing) is about 3lbs, which is about 2 - 3lbs lighter than your "average" show rabbit would be.

She's cute though!

This is her now three weeks later - she has come out of her shell a bit but I am truly smitten:love:
ASBOBunny.jpg

I was going to say she's probably crossed with a Netherland Dwarf but seeing the second pic she is most definitely a Lion Lop or at least has some lop in her somewhere! :D

Even then though depending on whether it was a mini lop, dwarf lop or other lop :shock: she could turn out to be all number of different sizes! :lol:

I've heard of a lot of pet shop bunnies being labeled as dwarf.... the funnies might have been "Dverg hermelin" which basically is Norwegian for Dwarf Netherland dwarf...I'm not joking! They honestly call it that. (It may look less idiotic in Norwegian since we don't have the word dwarf in the nethie's name)
I think it may be because an average pet shop rabbit is so poorly bred they go waaaay above standard weight for the breed, so a regular Netherland dwarf in a pet shop must look absolutely tiny:roll:

isn't she cute.....lionheads are supposed to be quite tiny and she is certainly smaller than my sooty was at her age and he's quite a small dwarf lop....there is always a good excuse to get a bigger indoor cage though if she's going to be confined in it at all.

Back