• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

buying a 2nd rabbit

baobao

Young Bun
hey all,

My m8s rabbit recently had babies and i am really interested in buying one. They are dwarf lop rabbits and are damn cute!!

i currently have a lop rabbit (not dwarf) who is 3 years old and is a boy (not neutered). The one i am interested in buying is only 5 weeks old but not too sure if it is a boy or a girl.

Do you think it is a good idea buying this rabbit??

Not until you know the sex of the rabbit you wish to buy.

Also you will need to have your rabbit neutered if you wish to get another bunny, as often a Doe and a buck are the best pairing method or two does.

Im not an expert but I wouldnt recommend putting such a young rabbit in with a 2-3 year old matured rabbit.

Hope this helps a bit.

Are you going to keep them together? If so no its not a good idea.

5 weeks is also way too young to be taken away from the mother its normally around 12 weeks.

Your unneutered male will hump the baby and the baby may well be a girl. Either way it won't be nice for the baby bun and could result in pregnancy or fights.

I think a friend for your bunny is a great idea :)

But you will need to get him neutred first (he would harrass a girl and fight with a boy). He would need to be kept apart from females for somewhere in the region of 6-8 weeks after neutring anyway, so I definately wouldn't rush into anything. Even after that time though I think the baby might still be to small to be paired with your adult :(

Have you thought about adopting an adult female?
There are plenty of adorable ones about, eg:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=12802

my days!! that rabbit is so cute, is it yours??

thinking about it maybe it isnt a good idea buying sucha young rabbit.

I have always wanted my rabbit to be neutered because recently he has just been crazy, pooping everywhere and tries to hump everythin that moves (including my leg!!) but he is so gorgeous!!!!

Is he too old to be neutered and would he lose a lot of his personalitly??

my days!! that rabbit is so cute, is it yours??

thinking about it maybe it isnt a good idea buying sucha young rabbit.

I have always wanted my rabbit to be neutered because recently he has just been crazy, pooping everywhere and tries to hump everythin that moves (including my leg!!) but he is so gorgeous!!!!

Is he too old to be neutered and would he lose a lot of his personalitly??

It's not mine no, just did a quick search for small lops as I know there are always lots of pretty rabbits on there :)

I don't think he is too old, 3 years certainly isn't that old.

His personality shouldn't really be affected, it should curve his aggresive behaviours but he will still be the same bunny.

i think u have to pay for it, but check wiv ur ins company... but if u get the baby and him neautered, if u can keep them close but apart for a few months, till he is in the clear, and baby, girl is bigger, they will hopefully be fine... and familaur with each other.

boy bunny op

I have just had my daughters rabbit done at the vets. It was £47. He isnt mounting the chickens or guinea pig any more and his character is still the same. He was done about a month ago. Hope this info helps.

The insurance wont cover neutring unless it is required for an illness they have.

Female neutring does cost most, it is an invasive treatment and a lot more complicated than for a male. My femal rabbits were about £60 each, it varies from Vet to Vet.

If you adopted one from a rescue they would probably already be fully neatured and vaccinated :)

Think I need to find a new vet I had my male bunny done a few months ago and they charged me £85.

I need to look at getting my female bunny done soon.

Think I need to find a new vet I had my male bunny done a few months ago and they charged me £85.

I need to look at getting my female bunny done soon.

That is quite a lot, but if they are very good with rabbits I would happily pay the extra ;)

i paid £65 for my buck and £85 for my doe to be neutered, my vets keep them overnight to makesure they are eating and pooing so i happily pay more.

If i was you id get him neutered and then get a rescue bun :D

hey all,

i have booked in a pre-op check for tomorow. I am actually quite scared/nervous but i am sure he will be fine. I always feel a bit shaky when i take my baoabao to the vet. What is the recovering procedure after neutering, i have asked the vet if it is possible to keep him over night but unfortunatley they dont have the facilities.

Good news it only cost £35 haha

Thanks

Aaron

Back