• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis Vibes for Thumper - UD - He's Eaten - POO UPDATE ADDED

kerina

Warren Scout
Went out to my baby this morning to find him clearly in pain, grinding teeth, rolling over etc. He wouldn't eat anything.

So I brought him in, and syringed some mushed up pellets with water into him, and just some plain water - then rushed him up to the vets. Had to wait 1 hour in the vets with him.

The vet says he has no blockage, his temperature is fine, his teeth are fine, but his tummy is pretty empty and there are no poo's pending.

She gave him three injections, one of which I know was a painkiller because she told me it was.

I have some recovery sachets to give him and some Metacam which I am to give 0.6ml daily - does this dosage seem ok or is it high?

When I got him home, he had some recover and I did tempt him with a raisin which he ate. I have had to come to work, but have left him with a big pile of hay, some pellets, some broccoli, some greens and some parsley and a big bowl of water.

Please send him vibes for me, I'm worried sick! Also what else can I do for him?

:cry: :cry:

Kerina

Last edited:
Poor thumper, sending get well vibes. Sounds like you are doing all you can. It does take a while before they fully recover.

You have done all you can- always a worry when you have to go to work. Hopefully when the meds start to work Thumper will try a nibble of juicy leaves.
Maybe you could try fresh corinander?-just a tiny bit about the size of a 50p piece.
My daughter told me to try it to encourage my bun to eat after a spey. Apparently it has a really strong delicious smell to rabbits and they want to nibble it when wafted under their nose. I got mine from tesco in a pot for about £1.20. (But don't delay going byTesos after work-get straight back to bun)
measure/count what he's eaten as it all adds up, and keep offering small amounts often. Dandelion leaves are good if you can get them.
sending <<good vibes>> :)for Thumper.-Sue

Any buns we've had usually have a ravenous appetite back within an hour of having the jabs at the vets - although ours have never been at the stage you describe so it may be longer.

Hopefully you'll find when you get home that he's eaten everything!

Fingers crossed!

Good luck to Thumper. It's so stressful, isn't it? Metacam dosage sounds fine (without knowing the weight). Newer higher doses have been released within the last year, so that's probably why it seems high.

I sure hope he has eaten when I get home. Also when I left he had a clean litter tray so I'll be able to poo spot too.

Does anyone have any opinion on the Metacam dosage he's been prescribed?

When i've had metacam for previous bunnies it has been literally 2 drops on the end of my finger - 0.6ml seems like a lot to me. He is a medium sized bunny, not overweight but I don't know exactly how much he weighs and the vet didn't weigh him.

I don't want to give him too much as I know metacam can be dangerous.

Thank you for your vibes so far. I can't concentrate at work, I might as well be at home.

Kerina

Is it the 1.5mg/ml Metacam ?

If so the maximum dose my Vet would prescribe is 0.6mg/kg ( 0.4ml/kg )

If he has already had a shot of Metacam today then he cant have anymore for 24 hours. If the painkiller was an opiate ( Vetergesic/Torbugesic ) then he can have Metacam today.

Hope he feels much better soon

Janex

Is it the 1.5mg/ml Metacam ?

If so the maximum dose my Vet would prescribe is 0.6mg/kg ( 0.4ml/kg )

If he has already had a shot of Metacam today then he cant have anymore for 24 hours. If the painkiller was an opiate ( Vetergesic/Torbugesic ) then he can have Metacam today.

Hope he feels much better soon

Janex

Jane

I don't know if it is the 1.5mg/ml Metacam as it is at home and i'm at work - boo hoo. I will look when I get home

The receipt from vets says:

0.60 Terramycin L.A. Injection
0.15 Metacam Injection
0.20 Maxolon Injection
2 Science Recovery
1 Metacam Cat

?????

If that makes any sense to you, then I salute you as a bunny genius!

So from what you've advised I'll give him the Metacam tomorrow. I might even wait until tomorrow night depending on how he is when I get home. If I give it to him in the morning before work, then it will be at approx 7.30am which is less than 24 hours (he had his jab at approx 9am this morning)

Kerina

OH has just got home from work and rang me to say.......

........that he's eaten the pellets, the broccoli, the parsley and the spring greens!!!!! And now he's begging for another raisin

Whoop Whoop!!!!!!

Looks like I caught it early enough.

I am one very happy relieved bunny mummy.

Thank for all your vibes - they really do work!

Love

Kerina
xxx

Jane

I don't know if it is the 1.5mg/ml Metacam as it is at home and i'm at work - boo hoo. I will look when I get home

The receipt from vets says:

0.60 Terramycin L.A. Injection
0.15 Metacam Injection
0.20 Maxolon Injection
2 Science Recovery
1 Metacam Cat

?????

If that makes any sense to you, then I salute you as a bunny genius!

So from what you've advised I'll give him the Metacam tomorrow. I might even wait until tomorrow night depending on how he is when I get home. If I give it to him in the morning before work, then it will be at approx 7.30am which is less than 24 hours (he had his jab at approx 9am this morning)

Kerina

Terramycin LA is a long acting antibiotic
Metacam is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory
Maxolon is Metoclopromide, a gut motility stimulant

You were given the Cat version of Oral Metacam which is O.5mg/ml. So giving O.6ml as prescibed would be giving 0.3mg which is well below the highest dose that can be given.

Janex :)

Oh thank you Jane - you're a star. I can't believe how much my mood has lifted!!

As he is eating now, would you still give him metacam tomorrow or just leave him? If I do still need to give him the metacam, how long should I give it to him for?

Sorry for the million questions, it's just been a long time since this has happended to me.

Thank you

Kerina

Oh thank you Jane - you're a star. I can't believe how much my mood has lifted!!

As he is eating now, would you still give him metacam tomorrow or just leave him? If I do still need to give him the metacam, how long should I give it to him for?

Sorry for the million questions, it's just been a long time since this has happended to me.

Thank you

Kerina

I would not give him the Metacam if he continues to eat and poo.

I would monitor his poo carefully over the next few days as reduced gut motility is often a secondary symptom of another primary problem. So if he continues to eat but his poos are smaller and fewer than normal that indicates that the primary problem is still brewing and I'd put a tenner on it being tooth related!! It is near on impossible to be certain that a Bun does not have molar spurs from an oral examination whilst Bun is awake.

Janex :)

Okay - I will poo check when I get home.

I'm going home now to give him lots of love and attention.

I will update in the morning on poo situation!

Thank you again so much

Kerina
x

I got home to find loads of lovely round normal golden hay full poos last night!!!

WooHoo!!! :D

He seems to be back to his usual self.

Jane - do you think I should not bother giving him the Metacam??

Thanks

Kerina
xx

Back