• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby rabbits/rabbits with small heads

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Ive just put Dandy and truffle is the shed there in a puppy pen ive not had a baby rabbit for a few years,just realised the bars are quite big on the puppy pen first thing Dandy did was try and shove his nose right through im scared of him trying to shoove his whole head, so have now had to cable tie those mesh panels to the run! anyone else had the same problem?

I've seen my babies stick their heads out through the bars of their run...
I'd be very careful when such things happen, rabbits can squeeze through areas no one would think they can then suddenly the whole rabbit is out:shock:
I don't know if this is true with bunnies but I've heard small rodents like rats and hamsters can get their whole body through a hole if only they can get their head into it.

My old Nethie could squeeze out of the bottom bars on the side of a dog crate :shock: He'd been in one fine and I hadn't realised the other one had slightly bigger spacing around the bottom until I found him outside the crate one day :shock: Confused me totally, popped him in and had to spy on him from the other side of the shed to see how he'd managed it :roll:
Better safe than sorry I think, at least with the extra mesh you know he definately can't escape :)

Back