• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

putting weight on rabbits

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,
Blitzen has lost alot of weight over the past two days (he is going to the vets at 5:40 ) anyway, he is eating, drinking, pooing normally BUT he is still losing weight and not putting any on :( I have upped his food amount to two small handfuls of food a day and obviously un-limited hay etc.
So does anybody have any ideas on how I can get weight on him? And can anybody think of anything else I need to do?

Maybe give him more food i don't know really as mine seem to get a lot of food compared to what some people feed theres :?

Aww poor bun. It is scary too isn't it when they get so thin.

Arthur was awfully thin when he had GI Statis. I fed him small amounts of banana, upped his pellets intake and gave him apple and grapes.

He loves banana and it is calorie high.

Maybe give him more food i don't know really as mine seem to get a lot of food compared to what some people feed theres :?

I've been told that a small handful is enough along with hay and veggies.

Aww poor bun. It is scary too isn't it when they get so thin.

Arthur was awfully thin when he had GI Statis. I fed him small amounts of banana, upped his pellets intake and gave him apple and grapes.

He loves banana and it is calorie high.

Blitzen loves banana so I'll give him some. Thanks

All bunnies are different like us. Poor Arthur has an awful metabolism (like me :D) and once he is a healthy weight its a constant struggle keeping him there :lol:

:lol: I mean keeping him less chunky. He only has to look at the food bag and he puts weight on. I guess thats why it was such a shock when he lost so much so quickly.

I didn't say they weren't :? I was just saying that's how much I have been told to feed and the other two seem absolutley fine :)

Sorry that came out wrong will explain what mine have pellet wise

daisy and maisy have a cup full between them
roger has 3/4 cup full sometimes abit more
spot and harley have 2cups full
peewee and spud have 2 cups full

All have access to hay and they have veg everyday to

So it depends on the rabbit really

all 3 of mine have a small handful in the morning, constant hay and veg every two days (if i give it them everyday they tend to get runny poo.

In a similar position

Hi there,
Sorry I can't help with your question, but I have one very similar. I brought my 2 new bunnies home yesterday evening. They will be 10 weeks old tomorrow, and one was very poorly 2 weeks ago. He is better now, although very very skinny. He is the same size as his sister, just skinny. I am scared to introduce new foods incase it causes diarrhoea again. What can I give him that will bulk him up? The breeder was feeding them on museli so keeping them on that for the minute, and I have given them timothy hay. Also, not sure when to start putting them in the outside run. They are outdoor rabbits, but don't want to overdo it with him being to slim!

Thank you! xxx

My Kermit was really thin there for a bit when he was ill, i was having trouble getting weight back on him....he was eating like a horse and still very skinny.

I got pro-biotics from the vet, these help get the stomach back in shape if there has been any illness, since having them he has piled the weight back on.

Could check with your vet to see if they think these would help.

K x

Back