• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bathing rabbits?

Stalvros

Warren Scout
Is bathing rabbits safe?
I dont know, some says no, some says yes.
Me personally, i dont care what method i use as long as i get rid of those yellow stains on their feet :(
(not up to the point that it hurts them of course)

Ok, that came up wrong~
I just wanted to know how do you like get rid of those yellow urine stains on their feet anyways? I just can't stand letting them linger around the house knowing that those urine stains are still there :(

As urine staines can burn I would suggest either wiping them with a damp cloth or if its warm enough I'd stand bunny in a shallow bath so only the feet get wet and give them a gentle shampoo.

I do bath my bunnies occassionally but only when its hot enough :D

Do you mean on the bottom of their feet? Nearly all bunnies get yellow or discoloured fur on the bottoms of their feet but its not urine and won't come off now matter how hard you scrub! :lol: It's perfectly normal and doesn't mean they are dirty :)

I wouldn't bath them, as even when its warm enough weather wise, flies also lay eggs in damp fur as well as soiled fur so you are putting them at risk of flystrike and rabbits can get very stressed when bathed, so I wouldn't recommend it ever unless they had something very serious as a last resort. I agree with Siona, yellow stains are normal;)

My friend bathed her rabbit which contributed to the illness that killed it :(
I wouldn't bathe a rabbit UNLESS it was absolutley filthy or covered in poo. Urine stains are normal but if it is actually weeing on its self it will need wiping down otherwise the urine will burn it's legs :(

I only do it when I have too, and I should have added that in my post.

Once Arthur had got into next door's garden and walked through a stagnant puddle which attracted flies and I couldn't wipe it off so had to bath him and the other time was after he'd been ill and had a bad bum. I wouldn't let him back outside till he was fully dry though.

A rabbit has two types of fur in its coat (unless a rex etc) and it takes hours to fully dry.

Back