• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunnies first weeks...advice pls

ribbons

Mama Doe
Hi there

The baby is 2 weeks old, mum loves veg but baby is trying to nibble it... Am I right to think baby should not eat the veg?

Also when do I start weaning & how do I go about it?

Havent bred rabbits for many years so I am a bit rusty.:)

I am assuming your baby rabbits were accidental arrivals otherwise you would have found out conditions and dietary requirements / care plan before hand?

I am sure someone with experience will come along soon and advise - I have no knowledge of baby rabbit diets - both my adult rabbits are neutered so no chance or intention of breeding :)

:wave: I have 4 babies well there not babies now there 15wks now but when they were old enough to leave the nest they would try and eat millies (mum) pellets and veg i was always told if mum had veg when pregnant and and when feeding the babies that the babies will be fine with veg mine have always had it from a young age and have had no ill effects

I am assuming your baby rabbits were accidental arrivals otherwise you would have found out conditions and dietary requirements / care plan before hand?

I am sure someone with experience will come along soon and advise - I have no knowledge of baby rabbit diets - both my adult rabbits are neutered so no chance or intention of breeding :)

It was actually not accidental, I bred rex rabbits & lops for years but that was a while ago... I done a lot of research prior to putting my bunnies together but I am on so much medication & suffer side effects which include lack of concentration, confusion & memory loss that I just cant remember everything I knew or have researched & just want to ensure I do not mess up...

:wave: I have 4 babies well there not babies now there 15wks now but when they were old enough to leave the nest they would try and eat millies (mum) pellets and veg i was always told if mum had veg when pregnant and and when feeding the babies that the babies will be fine with veg mine have always had it from a young age and have had no ill effects

Thank you for your advice hunni! I have read so many different things in the past & everyone has many different opinions so I just wanted to double check...
Thanks again! :D

I'd try to make sure the babies don't eat too much veg, and try to avoid giving them food which could upset their tummies such as broccoli, white cabbage and cauliflower - stick to the safer food such as spring greens and carrot... :)

I'd try to make sure the babies don't eat too much veg, and try to avoid giving them food which could upset their tummies such as broccoli, white cabbage and cauliflower - stick to the safer food such as spring greens and carrot... :)

Thank you!!! Much appreciated ... I knew some can cause upset tummies:D

hello it is ok for them to eat a little bit but do not allow them to eat to much as their tummies will get upset when you wean them take the two biggest ones out then in two days take the next biggest do this untill there is only one left and then take him out and walla they are now weaned just remember to put them into difrent sex groups

hello it is ok for them to eat a little bit but do not allow them to eat to much as their tummies will get upset when you wean them take the two biggest ones out then in two days take the next biggest do this untill there is only one left and then take him out and walla they are now weaned just remember to put them into difrent sex groups

Hi thanks for the advice!:wave:

It was her first litter & just one survived...

So please advise... Many thanks!:D

Excellent, Thanks for the advice... I always like to double check on what I read as people have different views. :wave:

Back