• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Transporting mum & baby bunny... advice please

ribbons

Mama Doe
Hi folks

My bunny & her baby need to be moved from one house to another, baby is two weeks old so when can this be done?
20 minute car journey...

Also when can they move in to their hutch (Mums original hutch) ???

Thanks

i don't think you can disturb them for a few weeks yet, i can't remember how long though, there's a thread somewhere, i'll have a look...

i can't find it at all, it wasn't that long ago either. i know it's stressful for the mother when they are young and helpless. i wouldv'e thought it would be nearer the time they were weaned but i can't be certain, i have no experienced with these sorts of things, sorry x

I'd leave it as long as possible - but if it's urgent, can you transport the nest too? So you can set them back up in new place with nest still in tact for minimum upset:D

i can't find it at all, it wasn't that long ago either. i know it's stressful for the mother when they are young and helpless. i wouldv'e thought it would be nearer the time they were weaned but i can't be certain, i have no experienced with these sorts of things, sorry x

Thanks for looking! Much appreciated:D

I'd leave it as long as possible - but if it's urgent, can you transport the nest too? So you can set them back up in new place with nest still in tact for minimum upset:D

The nest is still in her bed so could move her in the cage to my house then keep them in the same cage until baby is older then move in to her original hutch... Would that be okay?

I guess it would depend on how easily stressed the female is...I'd prefer waiting longer but one rabbit at school was actually moved with a newborn baby... the just spotted it the day they moved her:shock: (She had to be moved though, it was either that or leaving her behind wherever those students took her for summer break) and the baby did fine. Now Patches was and has always been an exceptionable mom, they moved the nest into a transport box and put that box into her hutch at school.

If it is urgent I'd say put the nest in a transport box, if not, leave her as long as you possibly can.

Back