• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on newly bonded rabbits

lauraandmike

Warren Scout
hi

we have 2 rabbits, a male and a female. they were put together last monday on neutral territory and we brought them home on weds. the girl is very dominant and he is looking for affection all the time. they had a horrible big fight in the run and so now they are confined to the top of the hutch for a few more days. the thing is we still dont trust her to be nice. i have watched them for hours and she is cleaning him, but it is still tense. she bangs her feet and pushes himout of the foodbowl. he has a couple of bites on him. how long should this go on for? he is not having a nice time and neither am i! we havent stroked or handled them.

who's home was it first? hers or his?

did you clean and disinfect the hutch etc before putting them both into together?

yes, it was her home first, but only for a week. we also disinfected it. they spend all their time together in the place were she spent the most time, and this is where they are happiest too, so i dont know,.

sounds like she is thinking of it as her place, her bowl

Maybe get a second bowl or change it for one new one - different type / colour or shape or move over to using a treat ball for the food . . added advantage of small amounts and exercise to feed.

Back