• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrr PAH

Jack-Bun

Warren Veteran
So, went to PAH today for some supplies, and I saw these 5 people stood near the buns. One was saying "Noo, lets get that one, that one is ugly"

Then another saying "It looks dead"

CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT HOME THAT POOR BUN IS GOING TO?

I was so angry:cry::censored:
Jack x x

So, went to PAH today for some supplies, and I saw these 5 people stood near the buns. One was saying "Noo, lets get that one, that one is ugly"

Then another saying "It looks dead"

CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT HOME THAT POOR BUN IS GOING TO?

I was so angry:cry::censored:
Jack x x

I know that's why if I'm forced into P@H I just run to the stuff I need and run out now, if I look at the rabbits, it's fatal.

I'm a pets at home lurker....I get the pelleted litter from there & nuggets & if I see anyone looking at the bunnys I stick my ears up & don't have second thoughts about butting in and saying things like "oh I wouldn't get a giant if I were you - giant sized food bills and if they kick out can really hurt a small kid...a friend of mine had to have 15 stiches" or "no you CAN'T put piggies and bunnys together" The pets home staff obviously don't think I'm too nuts after I told them off for putting piggies and bunnys together (i suggested they put the piggies in with the gerbils and see how the gerbils liked it) and wondered what new owners would feel given a new bunny and some piggy food (which was what they were being fed) to take home to wean them off. Next time I went bunnys and piggies separate.

Apart from us animal lovers i think some people take their kids into pets at home becuase it is a free zoo.I am glad that they have the boutique range as it shows that rabbits are just as important than cats and dogs.
As for those people they are the sort that buy an animal on impulse for looks then complain that it isnt nice natured:evil:

i got shauny from there, went in the first time and my o/h fell in love with him (i had lost the love of my life bout a yr and half ago my elvis and couldnt even bring myself to get another bun). but my o/h really wanted him, and told me to get him. it took me 3 days to go back in (my o/h was sure hed gone) i thought its fate if hes still there, couldnt believe he was. i stood lookin at him for ages thinking bout my elv, and the heartache i was still feeling for him.

and then bout 5 kids walked over, bout 12-16yrs (well pushin and shovin each other, being loud and swearin lots) and said yeah hes nice, lets get that one (my shauny)

i raced round the store to find an assistant, and thankfully got there before they did.

it really upsets me to think that young kids can just go buy a life, with feelings and fear and not have a clue about them, all for £15.
x

i had a similar experience was in PAH once and there was a lady buying a rabbit for her daughter she was trying to persuade her to get the REW (i think it is because it was on special offer :( ) but the daughter said yuck that one is well ugly i 'int' havin that' :( poor bunnies :( if i go there i tend to stand at the bunny pens near anyone looking interested and talk in a very loud voice about rabbit rescues, bonding, neutering, vaccinating and things :oops::lol:

i had a similar experience was in PAH once and there was a lady buying a rabbit for her daughter she was trying to persuade her to get the REW (i think it is because it was on special offer :( ) but the daughter said yuck that one is well ugly i 'int' havin that' :( poor bunnies :( if i go there i tend to stand at the bunny pens near anyone looking interested and talk in a very loud voice about rabbit rescues, bonding, neutering, vaccinating and things :oops::lol:

Hi, PAH do not put different colours of rabbits on offer. It's one price for all.

Sorry but PAH home really, really, really annoy me!! Whenever I go in for supplies that I need to get, I also make a point of standing near that rabbit pens & make sure I tell anyone who'll listen to me about how rabbits should be kept etc. I think the staff think I'm barmy, but if 1 rabbit gets a better life out of it, I don't care!!

Sorry but PAH home really, really, really annoy me!! Whenever I go in for supplies that I need to get, I also make a point of standing near that rabbit pens & make sure I tell anyone who'll listen to me about how rabbits should be kept etc. I think the staff think I'm barmy, but if 1 rabbit gets a better life out of it, I don't care!!

Heh.... believe me, if you came into my store you wouldn't get a word in edgeways :)

On a serious note, if you really want to make a difference try talking to people in a different manner (including the staff).

When I'm talking to someone about rabbits I can be with them for ages going through EVERYTHING. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a lovely couple about rabbits, going through all the info (care, worming, vaccs, flystrike etc) and this woman kept butting in. Every time she said something, I had to politely say 'Yes, we've been through that'. That lady was detrimental to educating people about rabbits. I like nothing more than striking up a conversation with a real rabbit lover, but when someone interrupts the information I'm giving, it winds me up.

I haven't heard of that store but I would tell anybody off that said anything like "that ones ugly" or "I don't care if it is to big for our cage" I am sorry but I can't control myself when somethin like that happens when I go to Orchlens (a US store) I stand by the buns and anyone who is buying one I say somthin like that ones to big for that type of cage how about this one and then I go on and on about care and things actually most of the time the kids seem grateful but the parents don't I think its something about the cost for hay and things:censored::roll:

I know LSpaceHooper is a really really good example of what ALL P@H should be - but I have to say I too have overheard such APPALLING 'advice' given by the staff at my local PAH that I also butt in if I am in there (try NOT to be).

The thing is that the leaflets and posters they now have up are not bad . . but the staff don't seem to have actually read them.

and yes the pigs and the rabbits were still together last time I went in . . . and the staff still said that rabbits lived 5 years max and loved guinea pigs and were best on their own and . . . .

I don't understand how the advice and knowledge (and therefore the rabbits eventual welfare) can be so totally dependent on individual managers and staff who seem to vary so wildly in their knowledge (and even interest). Why is there nobody checking up on them from within P@H??

Sorry - I know that P@H is an 'easy target' and there are other (much) worse places - but I somehow feel that a national chain should have national standards which should be upheld from within.

Sorry LSpacehopper, I didn't mean to offend you - but it's just that in both the stores we have in Sheffield - they nearly had their licences revoked by the Council, due to how bad they were looking after the animals - including rabbits not being fed properly & dead fish being left in their fish tanks (this was all over our local press). I can only say this from the experience of the stores I've been into & I'm glad that in your store you are a lot more responsible & caring for the buns you look after & sell - which in turn will mean a better quality of life for the buns.

I overheard a teenage girl and her mum buying a REW once and the girl sad to her mum" Ill get one cos theyre really cute...but i dont think ill ever be bothered to clean it out or anything"

:cry:

Derby PAH seems alot better, lots of hay, plenty of food and hay and the pigs and bunnies have been split.
I pretended to be interested in a rabbit :oops: and I asked what sort of care they needed and they gave me good advice, they mentioned vaccinations, castrating etc and they said it's better to pair up neautered females and males :D

Back