• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lionhead with matted fur

wattsy

Young Bun
Hello i have a young lionhead cross with a lop, can anyone tell me how to get rid of matted fur underneath her bottom, she is only twelve weeks, i have been brushing her everyday but cant get near her belly. she is difficult to handle. now she has got a ball of fur near the tail. Would the vet be able to do anything she is going there tomorrow for her jabs.

Sooty used to have a lot a fur on his bottom. I used to lie him on his back on my lap in a towel and gently comb it out. If you are not able to do that as difficult to handle ask the vet and they will give you advice.

Try putting a comb into the knot and then cut from the brush part of the comb to prevent you from cutting her. If its really really bad then take her up the vets as they maybe able to get the matts out with out having to put her under. good luck

knotted fur

Sooty used to have a lot a fur on his bottom. I used to lie him on his back on my lap in a towel and gently comb it out. If you are not able to do that as difficult to handle ask the vet and they will give you advice.

i cant ever imagine being able to do that with her, do rabbits become easier to handle as they get older or more difficult?

My little sammy is a double maned (fluffy all over) lionhead, like your bun he is hard to handle. I have a walk in cupboard in my bedroom so once or twice a week I shut him in there to try and groom him. He wont sit still very long so this is why I try and get him into a confined area. Sometimes he gets fed up darting about so he'll sit for a few minutes.
I just cut the matts out, I dont even think twice about trying to brush them out. He to has a solid matt beside his tail, I managed to cut a little off yesterday but it sometimes hard to tell where the skin starts and the matt ends, so unfortunately some of the matts stay. I dont worry about it too much as long as he seems comfortable and that the matt isnt stopping any kind of movement.

Sammy got neutered a couple of months ago and I asked the vet to de-matt him, thinking they would get a shaver to him when he was under the GA but they didnt. I assume my vet didnt want him under the GA any longer than he had to be but to be honest they didnt do any better at de-matting them than I had.

I use a pair of sewing scissors, they're really small and easy to use.

:wave: HI POPPY IS A LIONHEAD, AND WILL ONLY LET ME BRUSH HER WHEN SHE WANTS ME TOO:roll: BUT SHE LOVES HER BUM BUM BRUSHED:oops: AND SOMETIMES LIES WITH HER LEGS OUT STRETCHED SO THEN I USE A PAIR OF SMALL SCISSORS AND TRIM THE END AS USUALLY AFTER DIGGING SHE BRINGS HALF THE GARDEN IN:lol::lol:.

If it is a clean matt I would go for snipping it off with safety scissors before it gets too big. You will need someone else to assist you if you have a wriggly bun.

My vet used a matt splitter on Elsa when she had a mat, she split the mat then just combed it out, made it look very easy too:D

Hello,

I have lionheads too, and when I have matts to remove, I put the rabbit on my lap with it's head under the crook of my arm - sort of in my armpit and wedge it in - sounds horrible, but you don't have to squash them. Then I feel for the matted fur, you may have to tease and massage it for a while, but hopefully, you can feel a gap between the matt and the skin. Then with a pair of special scissors - which are sort of round ended and curl upwards to stop you nicking the skin (you can get them in petshops) - you can cut it away.

If that is not possible then I cut away the matted fur in bits, as you get closer to the skin, it can be brushed out.

My rabbits don't like it very much, they struggle, pant, and fuss, and are pretty miffed afterwards. but that's rabbits for you!

Back