• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving in Rabbits

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Since Prin died, Chance has quite clearly been grieving. He has eaten dramatically less, is drinking less and has now developed snuffles. I spend alot of time with him and try to cheer him up and offer him treats etc. Nothing. Can they grieve this badly? He was there when Princess dided and freaked out at her lifeless body. Anyone had a bunny grieve like this.

I don't know the answer but didn't want to read and not comment. I should imagine they do grieve and maybe he needs another bun to keep him company now? WOuld that be possible? If not I'm sure given time and your love he'll be fine.

I don't know the answer but didn't want to read and not comment. I should imagine they do grieve and maybe he needs another bun to keep him company now? WOuld that be possible? If not I'm sure given time and your love he'll be fine.

I would, but he has got snuffles now :cry:

yes my bun did when my sisters rabbit died she didn't do anything just sat there when I went to take her out all she did was sit no movenment or anything she barely ate or drank and she was like this for about a month maybe he'll get over it with your love I hope lots and lots of vibes to you both:(

Hi, yes Homer grieved for his wifey. He just sat there not intersted and started to sit in the toilet which in turn gave him scald. We had him all checked out at vets and he as fine physically. His fur also went very dull and dandruffy (not mites).

We got Katy about a month after we lost Baby he perked up (even thought it took 4 months to bond them!).

Can you try to give him a toy to cuddle into (if he doesn't already have one).

They are very sensitive animals. Give him an extra cuddle from me.

Hi, yes Homer grieved for his wifey. He just sat there not intersted and started to sit in the toilet which in turn gave him scald. We had him all checked out at vets and he as fine physically. His fur also went very dull and dandruffy (not mites).

We got Katy about a month after we lost Baby he perked up (even thought it took 4 months to bond them!).

Can you try to give him a toy to cuddle into (if he doesn't already have one).

They are very sensitive animals. Give him an extra cuddle from me.

He has a toy and keeps throwing it out of his hutch.

Oh poor Chance :cry: If you feel up to it would you consider pairing him with another bun? I'm sure some rescues on here must have snuffly buns if that is an issue?

Give the poor boy a nose rub from me :cry:

Our angora/ lionhead, Jessica, lost her friend, Fudge, at the end of last year and she became very quiet and lifeless. Her droppings became soft and she just seemed to sit around all day. I got her speyed last month and have now bonded her with Snowey, cashmere lop male and Jess, a lionhead, speyed female and she is like a different bunny. She's straight into her food in the morning and cleaning her bottom as well as grooming the others. She's generally much livelier.
I'm sure there must be rescues out there who would love to rehome a snuffly bun as I guess they must be hard to pair off usually because of the risks to the other rabbit.

Dont put youself down ur a lovely mummy.Look at all the hard work you put into Princess.No one could have tried harder than you did.Id advise getting Chance a new girlfriend he will be a lot happier.

I would defo consider it. But I don't think really I am suitable anymore.

Rubbish!!!! You are a fantastic bunny Mummy, Princess could not have wished for a better person to look after her. You are doing all you can for Chance to help him get through the grieving period even though you are going through it too.

Ben was really miserable when Molly was pts :cry:

He just sat in the corner of his hutch and hardly ate. Within the week i went and got Meg from rescue and he immediatley picked up. I felt bad, like i was replacing her too quickly but Ben was the important one and he so need another friend.

Also don't you talk rubbish young lady! You are a fab bun mum and i don't want to hear any different!!!! :D

Bobby grieved for Patch, just sat doing nothing.
We got him a new friend after a week. It was hard, and I felt like I was betraying Patch's memory, but had to do the best thing for my Bobster.
And you're a fab bunny mummy. I felt the same when I lost Nougs to flystrike, but have regained my confidence now (thanks to this forum). You do a great job.

Are you sure its snuffles and not heyfever?All my buns are sneezing at the mo and instantly I get worried because some of them carry the staph bacteria but they have no other signs E.g wheezing chest and thick white discharge from their noses.

Buns definitely do grieve.... Tracy noticed a huge difference is Tottis behaviour when he went to stay with her recently, 5 days after his beloved Brody went to the Bridge. It was so bad, she took him to the Vets to have him checked over.

Secondly, Totti is now bonded with Spike and Kiki and Kiki was diagnosed as pasturella positive a couple of months ago but has been with Spike 8 months now and to date, he hasn't shown any symptoms. There's a school of thought that a high percentage of buns carry it anyway and just don't show symptoms so I haven't removed her as a result.

How long is Chance been w/ Prin? And does Chance has a new companion now? A new companion would at least keep him busy

How long is Chance been w/ Prin? And does Chance has a new companion now? A new companion would at least keep him busy

Chance was only with her for 4 months. But they were devoted. She really looked after him. He doesn't have a new companion. He is at the vets later, but I have a feeling he is just giving up.

Back