• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mutant tooth?

brightspark19

Warren Scout
about 3 weeks ago Garnet, my 18 month old french x rabbits front left tooth started growing rapidly and grew up to her nose in a matter of about 8 days. i took her to the vets 2 thursdays ago, who used a powerful cutter to chop it off. However, over the last 2 weeks it has rapidly grown again and is now about an inch or so long. It isnt stoppin her eating or anything but it is constantly growing. I'm worried as to what might be causing this? and will she have to have surgery to remove the tooth? any ideas please

It will need to be trimmed regularly I'm afraid. My bridge bunny Fred and troublesome teeth like this. The vet suggested we have the teeth removed eventually as the constant cutting can weaken them causing the teeth to splinter or even shatter and it can be stressful for the bun.:(

i don't mind a weekly vet trip to have it trimmed but my vet is charging me £20 each time to have it trimmed. This seems waay too much.

She has never ever had a problem with her teeth except that this tooth has always been twisted. How much do you reckon it will cost to have it removed?

it would work out cheaper than such often visits to the vet thats for sure.

our first rabbit had her tooth knocked from its roots by a water bottle that suddenly the support gave wayon and the psut up and hit ehr front teeth.one went off ocurse and had to be trimmed manyu times and it was upsetting for me and painful for her....she was my first rabbit i was naive about the splintering etc..anyway a diff vet at the practice told me about the splintering etc and they couldnt even up the growth and thyed both gone wonky anyway so they advised me to have her front teeth removed. so we did it was a bit hard going for her at first but she soon adapted.....she was a little madam and my first bridge bun.

It cost us in the region of £120 to have Freds front teeth removed, that included the surgery and all his pain meds and antibiotics afterwards. £20 seems abit much for teeth trimming:shock: we used to pay about £9!

Back