• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chance is Snuffly Now.

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Chance has been getting quieter and quieter since Prin went. Tongiht he has started with a snuffly nose. :roll: I really think I am bad for rabbits. :cry::roll:

:no: you are not bad for rabbits, you are one of the best. i don't know much about snuffles but *vibes* for the little man.

It's not that your bad for buns sweetheart. You gave and did everything for Princess that you could. If you're worried, you should get him to a vet asap, but just like you're grieving so is he probably. If you're worried about snuffles, look out for the white discharge from his nose as I'm sure you already know. If he has lots of attention and cuddles from you, I'm sure he'll be fine. I'm sending you both lots and lots of vibes xxxxxxxxxxx

Aw sweetheart - you are NOT bad for bunnies, please don't think that.

Look how you nursed Princess through the mxyi and have been looking after Jack. I know you will look after Chance brilliantly too. I am sure anyone who has several bunnies will tell you that there are time when bunnies seem to fall poorly together. It won't be your fault, please believe that.

Sending loads of vibes for Chance and lots of hugs for you, xxx

Charlotte you KNOW you're not bad for bunnies!

I had years with no problems with mine then all of a sudden everything seemed to go wrong at once,you do the best you possibly can don't do yourself down!

Vibes for Chance.x

He isn't eating now. I have just syringe fed him. I can't take much more of this. Can rabbits just give up when their partner dies? He has the classic snuffle discharge. I have popped him on some Baytril but I hear this isn't the best meds.

bunnies are just fragile you know what they're like - and imagine how much worse off he might be if he *didn't* have you to look after him. I have no useful advice but i would think it would be natural for an animal to get poorly if its immune systems were lowered by the stress of losing a partner. I hope he picks up soon. ruth x x x

bunnies are just fragile you know what they're like - and imagine how much worse off he might be if he *didn't* have you to look after him. I have no useful advice but i would think it would be natural for an animal to get poorly if its immune systems were lowered by the stress of losing a partner. I hope he picks up soon. ruth x x x

Thankyou hun. I really do feel like the kiss of death.

Can rabbits just give up when their partner dies?

rabbits are just so complex and delicate, it really wouldn't surprise me that the loss of a partner could cause a bunny to want to give up. humans do it, i'd imagine bunnies can be the same. my mums cat had a brother that disappeared when they were both about two, he was depressed for weeks.

i'm sure he'll pick up, i have every faith xx

Make him up some porridge and see if he will eat this.

I went to do a homecheck for a bunny who was grieving the loss of her partner. She was still not really eating weeks after. She was then taken by the owner to a rescue, who did a bonding service, and she started eating again with her new partner.

I don't know why Princess passed away, could Chance be ill and not just grieving? Did he already have snuffles and it has just flared up, or is this the first episode. If you read the Dana Krempel article (I think its up on another thread on snuffles), he would need a culture test. I have found the thread, which contains the link to Dana Krempel and a detailed post from Jane, which might help you.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=133193

Last edited:
He is the same. We are at the vets later. He still isn't eating. I am syringe feeding him. Princess had stasis. The snuffles have only just flared up. Chance is a dental bunny so I can't rule out teeth.

:wave: i tried to do some reading about 'grief in rabbits' last night but i just couldn't find anything substantial. i found something that says they can become depressed and off their food and wotnot and just need extra care and attention. they can fall into deep depressions that take a while to come out of - ususally when they don't spend any time with the body of their loved one and Chance wasn't interested, was he? maybe that's partly why he's so down, maybe he's not willing to accept she has gone yet.

poor little Chance. :( come on little one, we're all worried about you xx

:no: Chance, don't be naughty, Mummy is doing it for your own good, it is important to eat up. If you don't get munchin' an' a-crunchin' I'll send Carlton round!

Please don't think it has anything to do with you. We all know how fragile rabbits can be. I really hope he picks up. :(

********vibes*************

Sorry I've just seen this Charl....been a very hectic weekend and not been able to log on much.

What have you tried to tempt him with? He used to be sugh a greedy guts I'd be amazed if he turned his nose up at everything. I mean this was the rabbit that was still trying to eat as he went under GA :shock:

Sorry I've just seen this Charl....been a very hectic weekend and not been able to log on much.

What have you tried to tempt him with? He used to be sugh a greedy guts I'd be amazed if he turned his nose up at everything. I mean this was the rabbit that was still trying to eat as he went under GA :shock:

Exactly Sooz, I have tried everything, I can't explain it but it is literally like he is giving up.

Back