• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dry Hay Problem! Any Ideas????

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Bunnie is on Alfalfa King Timothy Hay, and loves the stuff and at £8.95 a bag it's a good job. About a year ago Bunnie didn't eat much hay and use to get messy bum alot untill we started her on the good stuff after she got poorly with stasis, but after being introduced to Oxbow and Alfalfa King Timothy hays she can't get enough of the stuff except........................

when we get a bag that is not really dark green and is a bit dryer to touch, the little madam turns her nose up at it and refuses to eat the hay. Now unfortunetly this keeps on happening lately even though we travel around the pet shops looking for the darkest green looking and squeezing the bags to see how soft it feels and sounds:roll::oops: The hay seems to be coming in really dry lately though.

She sits there looks at the nasty dry hay and then looks at us as if to say "come on then where's the other nicer stuff:roll:

At £8.95 we can't go on throwing bags away. Before Alfalfa king hay she was on Oxbow and this happened about twice with their bags so we decided to go back to Obow only to find the local shop has stopped selling the big bags of the stuff. I know you can get it on the internet but it costs a fortune getting it from there and we can't pick the best looking hay!

Anyone else have fussy buns or got any ideas or remedys on how to freashen up the hay????????

Try looking at horse feed shops - posh horse hay is usually good quality and much cheaper :D

We will go out to the farm shops look around see what there is but we worry about how high the risk is of there being fleas or mites in the farm shops hay.

We will go out to the farm shops look around see what there is but we worry about how high the risk is of there being fleas or mites in the farm shops hay.

i had that problem! gave farm hay a go, Carlton got mites!

Maybe you could try and mix in some Friendly Dried Grass, it's dark and delicious! well, that's what C says! :lol:

i had that problem! gave farm hay a go, Carlton got mites!

Maybe you could try and mix in some Friendly Dried Grass, it's dark and delicious! well, that's what C says! :lol:

I have seen that stuff. I take it buns can't just eat that stuff on it's own they have to have proper hay with it too???

Well at the moment we have half of her old bag her so she is eating around the new stuff and tucking into the old:roll:

She's a pain in the bun bum!

If we were to get some of the Friendly dried grass, do we have to wean her onto it as she has never eaten grass before.

Last edited:
I have seen that stuff. I take it buns can't just eat that stuff on it's own they have to have proper hay with it too???

Well at the moment we have half of her old bag her so she is eating around the new stuff and tucking into the old:roll:

She's a pain in the bun bum!

tbh i'm not sure if it can just be eaten alone, i don't know how different it is from actual hay, i'm going to do some research about calcium and fibre content right now!

If we were to get some of the Friendly dried grass, do we have to wean her onto it as she has never eaten grass before.

Back