• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis whilst eating like a horse?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
I'm just wondering if stasis is always accompanied by bunnies paying very little interest in food or if you can have it whilst they're still very up for it.

I am sure Fia has poo'd since she came home from the vet and has eaten very well since. This morning I was concerned as to whether she was pooing or not and so decided to bring her into the kitchen, separate her from Zion but still next to eachother and see how many poos I could count.

Since 1pm I have counted 1......

Thing is she seems absolutely fine in herself. Very interested in everything and she has eaten the following with no coaxing required:
*some pellets
*carrot
*greens
*weetabix
*dandelion leaves

She is also eating hay but perhaps not as much as usual.

Is this stasis? I am just wondering if this megacolon thing is slowing down her usual processes.....

I spoke to the vet this afternoon who said that she didn't think it was a typical case of Megacolon that Fia has but she does have some chronic colon malfunction. She also said that if I could avoid getting her into stressful situations i.e. taking her to the vets it would be better as she appears to become rather stressed very easily. Hence why I am trying to figure out what is going on before I have to take her anywhere.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Shiv

Hi Shiv

I would try to keep Fia's routine 'normal'
If you've moved her to a new environment and seperated her from Zion she probably wont poo !!

I know it is very difficult not to stress when we know a Bun has a potential problem. But in my experience the less changes made the better.
I would put Fia back in her own environment with Zion.
I suspect she will poo when she feels secure

Janex :)

Ok. I just wanted to check before I had to ring the vets in case she did have stasis. They won't take her unless I can say for certain she isn't pooing etc.

I'll put her back and keep an eye on her. Will give them their dinner soon and check before I go to bed - I'll probs find loads :lol:

Thanks

A panicky bunny-mummy!

Ok. I just wanted to check before I had to ring the vets in case she did have stasis. They won't take her unless I can say for certain she isn't pooing etc.

I'll put her back and keep an eye on her. Will give them their dinner soon and check before I go to bed - I'll probs find loads :lol:

Thanks

A panicky bunny-mummy!

Awwww I know how you feel !!

I bet Fia's thinking 'blimey if I dont go home soon I'll burst'...... !! :lol:

Janex

sounds very like what my little chap is currently going through. He had very small poos (not all of the time though) and was ever so slightly quiet but eating well. I've cut his veg right down coz he was eating loads of that and not enough course fibre. I've upped his hay/grass etc and he's already looking brighter and livelier after only 2 days. Also giving him bio-lapis in his water. We went to the vet on Friday and she said it could be the start of stasis if left unchecked but that a 'normal' pet person wouldn't have picked it up so early. Left feeling very smug....!!!

Sounds like you're on the ball with your bun so suggest you just do the same. Lots of hay and small amounts of veg.

Last edited:
:lol: Well after I wrote that last post I went downstairs to find 6 poos in the litter tray I put in for her :D

I put them both back in their playhouse/run & Fia is munching away at hay and found a stray carrot in Zion's hay box that he missed! He felt incredibly seen off when he saw what she was munching on!

Thank you so much guys. I think I just went into panic mode as I have been so worried about her. Love her so much and after coping so well with being skinny etc all this time I would hate for it all to go wrong just cos I wanted these investigations.

My vet did mention about treating her with a probiotic but she still hasn't done all of her research yet. I think I may just let them both have probiotic as part of their routine - it wouldn't do them any harm would it? And anything else the vet comes up with.

Thanks again guys - I can sleep easy tonight :)

Shiv

A probiotic in their water wont do any harm at all :)

Pssssssst Fia, make sure you do lots of poo tonight ;)

Janex :wave:

Back