• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just discovered baby bunnies,PLEASE HELP...U/D 1 baby gone!

**lexi**

Warren Scout
I have just come home to discover our new rabbit has had 6 babies.
She has had them out of the nest what do i do????
They feel a little cold....is it ok for me to move them????

Last edited:
you havn't already touched them, have you? do you have a male and female together? you need to get the male out immediately or the female could become pregnant if she isn't already.

I rescued her from an awful situation last saturday not knowing that she was pregnant,so yes,she is on her own and im not quite sure what to do now :?

if you can distract her away with some tasty treats, rub your hands into uriney sawdust and gently push the babies together under the fur, unless she's done it already. the main thing is to have mums scent on you if you need to anywhere near them or she will reject them.

Hi,i have just rubbed mollies scent on me and moved the babies into the nest,mollie seems quite happy and is eating well.
What are the chances of her rejecting the babies now???

Hi,i have just rubbed mollies scent on me and moved the babies into the nest,mollie seems quite happy and is eating well.
What are the chances of her rejecting the babies now???

if she's back with them fine now she should be okay. i think lactating does need extra food, it might be worth doing a search on here. i've never dealt with unexpected litters so i'm not very knowledgable. i'll go and do some searching and see what i can find..

Hello, I am quite experianced in breeding so if you ever need any help pm me and I can wright up a whole book in a few hours anyways make sure the kits (babies) are warm my does have never regected them and I play with them from day 1 just make sure she has lots of water start increaseing her pellets and make sure she has lots of hay to build her nest with (she will add on as the kits tend to eat a bit of it) soo anything else needed pm me my web dosn't have to much on it about breeding at the time but I will try to update it ASAP pm me I am happy to help:wave:

my new mummy is very hungry.. she cant get enough so make sure shes got extra food on hand.. i was advised by a breeder to giv a bottol with lactol, the milk u feed kits if handrearing... she loves it and her babies are lovly chubby things , dont know if that good advice or not, but that was what i was told.

Thank you all so much for you're advise...she has gone back to them and has covered them with fur and hay,so fingers crossed they will be fine.
Also does anyone think it would be best for me to take the hutch indoors to keep them warm?

mine are in outside hutch... i think they will be fine, though i do hav perspex fitted on front wire, to keep rain n wind out., maybe fit plastic over open area at least at night., my little ones are 11 days now.

I wouldn't becuase the change might harm them you could try it a bit later when they are about 2weeks but by then you would know for sure if it is warm enough whats the temp near you?

I went to check on the babies this morning and found 1 baby away from the nest,i had put it back several times and it just wriggled away each time.
It didnt have the rounded tummy like the others so hadnt been fed either,i checked again half an hour ago and sadly we have lost the poor baby :cry:
Does anyone have any clues as to why this has happened? :cry:

Oh I'm so sorry to hear one of your babies has died - I'm sorry I can't be much help as I've never had to deal with baby buns. Have you tried PM'ing All for the animals? x

Hello again I am fine with posting as well as pming so whatever you want to do ok I should of asked this in the first place but do you have a nest box in with her? they aren't erectly like the ones they sleep in but they are specially made for does to give birth and rear their young in here is a link to one
They will keep the babies in I am so sorry for your loss as well I never like seeing any of them go as I just had two kits die yesterday:cry: I was so sad I never had any of Affia's kits go and the ones that died are the ones I was keeping:cry::cry:

Wooden Nest Box:
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/photogallery/EnhancedPhotos/Resized-Photos/NestBoxEmpty-200.jpg

Metal Nest Box:http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/600/2179570.jpg

awwww im sorry both of u hav lost babies that is soo sad. i use a cat box without the door, so they cant go far, maybe there was sumthing wrong with that little one and mum removed it, iv had that before, mums seem to know if sumthing not rite wiv a baby and can remove them from nest.:(

Well as long as it is about 4inches high it should do but I prefer about half a foot I think she may have removed it because it was sick or something same as Sticky Bun said If anything comes up urgent pm me anytime as I am almost always outside so I usually just check my pms but if you want to post go ahead but it will take me longer to reply again I am really sorry about your loss especially your first litter thanks sticky bun

:( i'm sorry you lost a kit. these things happen in nature, it may have been a weak baby that just wasn't supposed to make it.

Back