• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advert on Preloved and ukclassifieds

twinks22

Warren Scout
Hi Can anyone advise me what to do if anything. There is someone advertising rabbits for sale on preloved and ukclassifieds, I rang up today to enquire because they were so cheap and was concerned who they'd be going to. They were selling the adults 6-7mths old for a £5 and the babies for around £15. The thing is when I rang they said you need to let us know what time your coming round as I will need to get the rabbits, I said why can't I see them in the hutches, he said I'm a retailer I don't keep them here, basically you tell them what you want and the people bring the rabbits to his place and if they're not bought then they go back to where ever they came from. When I said I wasn't go to buy, he tone of voice changed. The advert says he needs to get rid of them quickly as there are more babies on the way and people are only buying the babies they're not interested in the adults. Do I go round and buy some off him to try and rescue some of these rabbits. I'm really concerned, and don't know what to do, can any one advise me on whether to go and get some off him, or leave well alone.

By buying these off him only clears space for them to replace them with others. If they struggle due to lack of space they hopefully will think twice when it comes to breeding more.

Whilst you may help one or tow that that this man currently has, you would only be sending out the message that there is a market for these. If there is no market or it is selling them is slow, they will end up thinking twice before breeding more.

Do you have space to keep them?
Can you afford vaccinations & neutering?
Can you house the separately from your own rabbits in case they are carrying disease?
If one is pregnant and delivers a litter of babies unexpectedly can you cope?
If they are ill and need extensive vet treatment can you afford it?

That's a few things to consider :)

Buying rabbits and selling them on requires a pet shop licence. If you have his name & address you could check with the local council and if he doesn't they'll investigate.

Back