• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible Malocclusion?

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
:cry: Mona is not well. Her eye today has a grey glaze over it and is producing clear discharge. Yesterday she lay down a lot on the grass but her eye was normal. She also ate normally yesterday but today she is off her food. I have felt along her jawline and under the eys and can feel no lumps and bumps. I phoned the emergency vets who advised me to wait until Monday. I have never expereinced a rabbit with teeth problems before so any adivce or information about symptoms would be very helpful. At first i thought of Glaucoma but her reluctance to even open her mouth worries me.
I have syringe fed her some water and will probably need to feed her a puree. Earlier she ate one raison rather halfheartedly but otherwise will not eat. She is 6 years old and only one ey is affected. This is the eye which has a hole in the iris and causes her double vision. Has anyone got any adivce for me?

I don't have any advice but just wanted to send some hugs, Sounds like shes feeling quite poorly :( I'd be tempted to get her to a different vet today if poss. Good Luck, Get better Sweetheart! :( X

Thank you Becki. I have just been to see her again and she is eating parsley and pellets which si very heartening. Perhaps its not her teeth at all.

She wouldn't have got a bit of straw or something in her eye and it made it weep? It would be a bit sore and weepy if it didn't come out quickly.

No, I checked it over and over. There is a greysih glaze over the yeball like blind animals get and the white of the eyeball is also bloodshot. I have many theories but its so hard to tell. Apart from her eye, she seems alright within herself. She had conjunctivitis a few years ago but the symptoms were slightly different. I'm just terrified its her teeth.

Personally I would insist the Vet sees her before Monday. She may be in pain so will at the very least need analgesia. If she is in pain and hardly eating she is at risk of GI stasis. This will put her at greater risk should she need a GA/Dental on Monday.

Her eye problem may be tooth root related. Older Buns can suddenly develope Dental problems even if they have never had them in the past and have been raised on a good hay based diet. The 'mechanics' of the jaw appear to change with age and osteoporosis of the jaw can also occur.

Alternatively she may have developed a cataract or Glaucoma. The latter being painful if left untreated. The redness of the eyeball is concerning and may indicate uveitis. This is often related to cataracts that have developed as a result of an active EC.

I do hope the Vet wil see her before Monday :?

Janex

Last edited:
Thanks Jane. My first thought was Glaucoma too. The emergency vet wouldn't see me :censored: Its not my usual or even local practice plus they charge £90 just for consultation. The nurse I spoke to was a complete B**** so I will be complaining on Monday. She told me my case wasn't considered emergency and that 3 RTA's had been brought in and were priority which is fair enough but I would have come in at 1am if they'd wanted me too. But then she was really cheeky and told me I could expect to pay a lot more for treatment. I didn't even ask for prices :shock: It must have been her bad day.
Today Mona's eye is no longer glazed or leaking discharge. They eyeball is still bloodshot but she is eating and playing as normal. I don't like it though, it could be anything so I want to be on the safe side which is why she is seeing my normal and extremely good vet tomorrow.

Well the Vet pronounced Mona to be fine. I have eyedrops to be given thrice daily. The vet thinks Mona knocked her head somehow which caused a slight haemmorhage in the eye. If it gets worse though she'll have to go back for more extensive testing. Her teeth were checked out with the otoscope and also pronounced fine but I rammed it home to my vet that if it doesn't clear up, osteoporosis and EC may be behind it. Thanks again for all that info and advice Jane.

Back