• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP there's a FOX in my garden!!!

sarahslc

Warren Scout
Has any one got some advice for me on my fox situation?
It has become apparant that we have a fox regularly visiting our garden, I wouldn't mind except Ruby's hutch is in the garden. We've been putting her in the shed at night so she's in no danger then but what about during the day? Would a fox be so brave as to venture into the garden then? Any suggestions anyone?

Yes, a Fox will most certainly come into the garden during the day. If you feel your Buns hutch is not Fox-proof for night-time then its not Fox-proof for daytime either.

Personally I would not keep a Bun outdoors if I new I had a Fox in the garden. But due to a very tragic personal experience I am totally paranoid about Foxes.

I am sure others will be able to advise you about making your Bun's hutch safer but for me the only option would be to move the Bun indoors and keep all doors and windows closed.

( My Bun was taken from inside my house by a Fox )

Janex

:shock:God I wouldn't have thought they would be so brave as to come in the house!
Her hutch has 'fox proof' wire on it. I'm just don't want to test the theory and end up bunless.:(

Yes, a Fox will most certainly come into the garden during the day. If you feel your Buns hutch is not Fox-proof for night-time then its not Fox-proof for daytime either.

Personally I would not keep a Bun outdoors if I new I had a Fox in the garden. But due to a very tragic personal experience I am totally paranoid about Foxes.

I am sure others will be able to advise you about making your Bun's hutch safer but for me the only option would be to move the Bun indoors and keep all doors and windows closed.

( My Bun was taken from inside my house by a Fox )

Janex

Oh my god :shock::shock::shock:

If you're worried about her hutch in the day, you could make a wire cover to go over it from heavy duty metal mesh.

Foxes are such a worry with rabbits, I was driving along in the country yesterday and I saw a fox crossing the road (2.30pm) with a dead wild rabbit in its mouth.

ARC get many people informing them that they have had rabbits taken from hutches :( the majority of these do not have bolts on the hutches :shock: Bolts are essential as we have had had lots of reports of people whose hutches they think are secure with those closure which can be swivelled around. Foxes are as good as humans in managing to operate these :shock:

Rabbits left in uncovered runs are also seriously at risk of being taken in the day time by foxes :(

ARC get many people informing them that they have had rabbits taken from hutches :( the majority of these do not have bolts on the hutches :shock: Bolts are essential as we have had had lots of reports of people whose hutches they think are secure with those closure which can be swivelled around. Foxes are as good as humans in managing to operate these :shock:

I use small pad locks on my run and playhouse, it is just that little bit safer. You can buy them in packs of 3 in most hardware shops.

Last edited:
Her hutch has bolts on it so thats a plus then, her run although covered has the swively things on it so I think I may replace them with something more substantial asap. Thanks.
I have spent all afternoon in the dining room on the pc as Ruby is in her run so I feel as though I have to be on "fox patrol"!

our old house used to back onto allotments and was by a stream and we had a fox that used to sit at the patio doors like a dog!!!

there was a pair of them and often had babies!!

also used to get loads of rats being by a stream.

live in a residential area by motorway now and not seen a fox!!

If you are able, sink mesh under the grass area of the run or alternatively, pave the area. I had 6 bunnies taken by a fox last year, he dug up the lawn to get under and into the run :(:(:(

help -there,s a fox in my garden.

Oh dear:cry:please be very careful now you are aware that you have a FOX around:cry:they have cubs now who need lots of food and a plump bunny would do very nicely:evil:
I have lots of foxes here:cry:I hardly dare to let my bunnies out in their run as the vixen is always around trying to get them:evil:
She comes into the house if we have the patio doors open (she goes upstairs as well if i am not around to keep her out of the house)
I have just had to run out into the garden and shout at her as she is hanging around and keeps coming in to steal my pussies food bowl:cry::evil:
PLEASE do take care with your buns as the fox will know that they are there:cry:

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, I will be doing alot of fox proofing to keep Ruby safe, we may even consider bringing her indoors if thats what it takes, I just feel a bit mean about denying her the great outdoors even though I know its for her own good:(

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, I will be doing alot of fox proofing to keep Ruby safe, we may even consider bringing her indoors if thats what it takes, I just feel a bit mean about denying her the great outdoors even though I know its for her own good:(

She can still get garden access - just make sure you are outside with her:D What better excuse for sitting in the garden with a glass of wine?;):D

Hiya! :D

We've had a load of cats in our garden recently (I'm allergic to them) and we've used wire mesh from Wickes (the bendable stuff) and put it around our gate using cable ties, you can also attach it to fences, hedges and hutch wire.

cableties2.jpg

We've also bought some "Prikka strips", to keep out cats - ideal for tops of walls, gates, but you can also attach them to runs as they have holes along the strips :)

Hope this helps. x

help theres a fox in my garden

i would go to the local zoo and get some bear or lion poo and put it round the garden. the smell should scare it off

i love the ida of sitting in garden wiv wine and watching my bunny play. but the thought of sitting with the smell of bear poo....mite just take the edge off..:lol:

Back