• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

some general q's, as ive never owned rabs before

asha_dee2007

New Kit
i know these questions might sound a bit silly! but ive only ever kept rats and dogs so rabbits is like a new world to me:lol:
ok here goes,
do rabbits need company like rats do? or can they live a happy life on their own?
what hutch would you reconmend?
is the alpha herbal deluxe a good rabbit base food?
i get those bales of cardboard sqaures for my ratties would this be okay for the rabs?
those are just a few starter questions for now:lol:
thanks in advance! :D

hi:wave:

Bunny's do love companies but it's best to have a neutered male and spayed female and bond them together.

Have you got a bunny now or just doing research?

The size of hutch depends on the size of the bunny, the minimum requirements and 6Ft x 2ft x 2ft with access to a run.

Rabbits need to have constant access to hay and a good quality rabbit pellet such as Science Selective.

Rabbits need a vaccination against Myxi every 6 months and yearly against VHD.

Ive never heard of Alpha Deluxe or the cardboard, sorry no help on that part.

Anymore questions please ask away:wave:

My rabbits, guinea pigs, mice and rats are all on the cardboard bedding so yes it is fine. I wouldnt use sawdust for any animal.

Hi,
My bunny kermit lives on his own.....i know that bunnies love company, but they also love human company.
I think if you have enough time to spend with your bun then its fine for it to be a lone bunny. My kermit is a house bunny though, so he gets alot of company.
I dont know about the cardboard either.....an essential is the hay though, rabbits need a continuous supply of hay.
I use supa excel pellets, you get them in most pet shops......Also good to give bun fresh leafy veg, but not iceberg lettuce, and not until the bunny is about 6 months.
K x

thanks for all your comments,
i havnt got a rabbit yet im just doing some research before i rush into anything, i want to know alot before i get a bun!
but if i was to get one i think i would get afrench lop i think they are dead cute! what would be the size of a hutch for one of those and how big do they grow?
here is a link to the alpha herbal http://www.petmarque.com/small-animals-petproducts-details/22/Small-Animals/58/Food/55/Complete-Food/1/2795/Alpha-Herbal-Deluxe/

also if i got a lone male would he stil need to be neutred?
also do they bite?:lol:
sorry to be so silly
thanks again

I personally wouldn't use any type of museli style food for a rabbit, as they can become very selective about what they eat out of it, which can cause problems. The 6'x2'x2' is the minimum hutch size for any bun really.. It's always a good idea to neuter them, as it reduces the risks of cancer and also takes away any sexual behaviour.

thanks for all your comments,
i havnt got a rabbit yet im just doing some research before i rush into anything, i want to know alot before i get a bun!
but if i was to get one i think i would get afrench lop i think they are dead cute! what would be the size of a hutch for one of those and how big do they grow?
here is a link to the alpha herbal http://www.petmarque.com/small-animals-petproducts-details/22/Small-Animals/58/Food/55/Complete-Food/1/2795/Alpha-Herbal-Deluxe/

also if i got a lone male would he stil need to be neutred?
also do they bite?:lol:
sorry to be so silly
thanks again

- A french lop will grow quite large so i personally would suggest a wendy/playhouse with attached run rather than a hutch.
- It would be best to get a male neutered to stop spraying and sexual hormone behaviour.
- Have you thought about adopting a pair of bunny's from a rescue? That way they will already be neutered/spayed and bonded. You can also see the character of the rabbit (see the rabbits in need section i think there are some french lops at the minute)
- Some rabbits do bite but no all. Biting is associated with unneutered/spayed rabbits generally as a territorial based behaviour.
- I would support nicolapompicola about the museli. Rabbits can be selective eaters and only eat the bits they like. Its best to go with a combined pellet so they get all the goodness they need.

i think its great that you are doing research first :thumb:

French lops are really sweet but you could also have a look at dwarf lops and mini lops (they're alot smaller but look very similar) but you'd still need to get the roomiest hutch and run for the buns :)

As already commented the food you have suggested appears to be a mix, unless rabbits eat everypart of the food your rabbit will miss out on vital nutrients in their diet.

A high fibre diet is required, most pelleted food is higher in fibre than mixes are. Pelleted foods such as science selective, allen and page and also bunny basics T are all superior in their fibre content than most other foods. A lower fibre food canincrease the chance of health problems like gut and teeth problems.

Hay is essential and they should eat at least the same amount of hay as their own size. 80 - 90 % of their diet should be hay. For this reason most people do use hay in their hutches. A cardboard based substance can be used in litter trays.

thanks everyone for the help and advice you have given me.
so the food is called science selective? and where would i be able to get this from?
what hay is the best for buns?
could i put some news paper down with cardboard squares ontop with loads of hay? would that be suitable?

some general q's

thanks everyone for the help and advice you have given me.
so the food is called science selective? and where would i be able to get this from?
what hay is the best for buns?
could i put some news paper down with cardboard squares ontop with loads of hay? would that be suitable?

im new to all this too. i have had my bun a month.
i have used so many different types of bedding and the more you use the more mess they make,mine spends all night trashing the joint. The most successful has been newspaper then a sprinkling of cardboard pellets just where she urinates and a complete hay covering which she spends all day eating. straw has no nutritional value i have been told. seperate clean hay replaced every day in her hay rack.

on the hay subject, i would just mention the hay needs to be the long stuff, not the chopped hay that is used for bedding, as it is the hay that helps keep their teeth short.

Back