• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Omg Nearly lost Pop!!!!

xShellx

Alpha Buck
Got 3 new baby piggies yesterday and let them in the run for the first time.

The run has no doors and you have to lift it up to get the piggies out.
It started raining so I asked my OH to lift up the run and I would get the piggies. Snap and Pop escaped. My Garden backs onto the railway line and theres nothing to stop them getting out. Snap went into the overgrown thorn bushes and Pop under the shed. We rescued Snap first couldnt catch him as they are new they are very skitty. got the fish net but that didnt work because it was too overgrown to get the net in.

So I decided to stay very still untill he came near me and grabed him on the second attempt.

By this time it was poring down, I went inside to put on my wellies and was going through the nettles and bushes and couldnt see him anywhere. Looked under the shed and he wasnt there either. Went into the neighbours gardens. Looked inside the shed and my oh stamped inside the shed to see if he would come running out. After 3 hours I had given up, My oh said that he had run away and would have been miles away. I was soo upset as it was all my fault.

I was just walkin into the house when I looked behind me and saw Pops leg under the shed! I couldnt beleive it! Evey time I tried to go near the shed he ran back under. So I put some food by the shed and sat next to him. Each time he kept sticking his nose out but every time I made the slighest movement he went back under and I would have to wait 10 mins for him to get near me again. ALso each time a train went past he was scared. After a while he came completly out, I tried to net him but missed.

They we decided to put some wood behind him and some wooded posts either side of him I reached in with my hand and grabed his back end.

They are all reunittedd now after 4 hours apart!

I was soo happy, wet and muddy! I really thought I had lost him and had given up. He wouldnt have lasted the night as we have foxex in our garden.

Im going to get oh to make a door for the run so I dont have to lift it up.

Sorry for the long post im feeling really emotional and happy

It was a bad idea to get piggies. Im to scared to let them out now incase I lose them :cry:

At least with giant rabbits you can catch them easy!

Poor you - that must have been a shock. I know how skittish baby piggies can be - the same thing happened to me once - I didn't realise I'd put the run on slightly uneven ground, and when I came back from work my four baby piggies had gone. I had no idea how long they'd been out. I got two back very easily, but the other two were a nightmare - it took me all evening, but I eventually found one in the corner of the garden, and the other under some bushy plants. Gave me such a scare that I wouldn't put them back out again until I'd got some wire to put under the run, which the grass soon grew over so it didn't hurt their feet. Thankfully it never happened again, but it was an awful evening and I was convinced that I'd never see two of them again.

Sadly all four are now gone, but they ended up having long and happy lives :D

Poor you - that must have been a shock. I know how skittish baby piggies can be - the same thing happened to me once - I didn't realise I'd put the run on slightly uneven ground, and when I came back from work my four baby piggies had gone. I had no idea how long they'd been out. I got two back very easily, but the other two were a nightmare - it took me all evening, but I eventually found one in the corner of the garden, and the other under some bushy plants. Gave me such a scare that I wouldn't put them back out again until I'd got some wire to put under the run, which the grass soon grew over so it didn't hurt their feet. Thankfully it never happened again, but it was an awful evening and I was convinced that I'd never see two of them again.

Mine escaped because my stupid run has no door so i have to lift up the whole thing. I stoped using it for my rabbits cos they used to escape too but where easy to catch.

I honestly didnt expect 8 week old piggies to be so fast!

Mine escaped because my stupid run has no door so i have to lift up the whole thing. I stoped using it for my rabbits cos they used to escape too but where easy to catch.

Oh yes, they can't half get some speed - but it's not just the speed, they seem to dart - I was in tears when it happened to me because I live on my own and it was impossible - I heard the first one rustling under the bush and the other was white - thankfully - and I saw her against the dark step that she got herself on.

gosh, i can't imagine how relieved you are! my hammie once snuck into the kitchen, got in the hole between the washing machine and skirting and disappeared. she ended up underneath the kitchen floor, i could hear her scurrying under the tiles, i felt so sick the whole time. 48 hours later, thirst got the better of her and she came back, phew!

glad your munchkins were caught! i bet they thought they were having a real adventure too, without a second thought for how upset you were feeling!

can anyone recomend a run which will allow me to catch them easy with a door?

Im soo scared to get them out of the hutch now:cry:

This why I don't adopt out young piggies to children they're like bars of soap to hold and fast as deer.:shock::?

You'd be better of with a run that has a lift of lid that you have to climb into that way you don't loose them. It only needs to be 18'' high

I also teach all of my piggies to go back into their pigloo's so I can just lift it out of the run with them in it and return them to the hutch.:)

This why I don't adopt out young piggies to children they're like bars of soap to hold and fast as deer.:shock::?

You'd be better of with a run that has a lift of lid that you have to climb into that way you don't loose them. It only needs to be 18'' high

I also teach all of my piggies to go back into their pigloo's so I can just lift it out of the run with them in it and return them to the hutch.:)

I honestly didnt expect them to be soo fast. it was there first time in the run lifted it up and tried to pick them up lol. Im just soo happy they are all ok.

My grandad has given me his walk in cat run as his cats are too old now.
Im going to use the panels to make a large run for them with a lift off roof.

Dont think i want 2 walk in enclosures in my garden will be a bit much

Back