• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hiccups?

xxKarinaxx

Mama Doe
Can rabbits get the hiccups?

Every now and again Dodge sits there making a sort of hiccuping noise (sorry thats the only way I can describe it) and his little body jumps. I'm worried it could be something serious if its not just a case of hiccups.

i'd like to know that too. :? Carlton was doing that this morning while he sat waiting for me to get out the shower.

yeah, an arching back, i thought maybe the shower spray was catching him but i'm certain it wasn't.

I've seen dodge do it a few times now but he seems well and is eating like he's never been fed before.

:lol: bless little carlton waiting for you to get out of the shower

he comes racing down the hallway as soon as he hears the shower go on! when he was younger, he'd get in and sit out the way of the spray! now he just sit on the mat and waits for me to get out! :lol:

:lol::lol: that made me snort a little....it was a very attractive snort though

I'm hoping dodge isn't broken, I can't find anything about rabbits having the hiccups

i just found this-

"If the rabbit hiccups do not last for hours and hours, usually they will go away on their own and are harmless. If your rabbit has them for long periods of time it can be a sign of something else - or a result of something else. A vet can do an x-ray to see if there are intestinal problems or gas balls in the stomach (as a result of the prolonged hiccups). Rabbits which were weaned improperly as babies can also be more prone to these as they get older (as well as other digestive problems). Also if you have corn pieces in your rabbit pellets this can cause gas and intestinal problems."

if they go on for a bit, it says you can give infactol to prevent possible gas balls.

Ah that explains it then..he was taken away from his mum at 4 weeks as she was ill. Not sure if that was true or not :?

He only has them for a minute at the most but he has had them a few times. Thats a relief, I shall keep my eye on the little hopper.

Flopsy used to get these! She hasnt had them that ive seen for ages though.
Scared the hell outta me when i first saw it, i picked her up and was hysterical in tears phoning the vet :oops: but when i found it what it was and it wasnt gonna hurt her i thought it was a bit cute :love:

:lol: I've glad that I have been saved the embarrassment of going to the vets with the hiccups. They think I'm nutty enough as it is

Sophie gets hic cups :lol: They dont last for very long but you can see the little judder when she is hiccupping :lol:

Back