• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hock U/D pics,poss spine prob,large weightloss

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
peanut had a funny hock last year-ish time, and it wasnt broken just very dry and hard, kept an eye on it and vet said not to worry.

yesterday it came up sore and had puss in the middle, and the 'bald' patch was now the size of a 1p. It burst today so it had a little hole , but its swollen around it.

he hasbeen to the vets and thye gave given him an injection and baytril twice a day.

anyone know why a dwarf lop would get sore hocks like this?? any help would be appriciated!

Last edited:
Poor Peanut :cry:

What is he bedded on?
Is he a podgey Bun?
Is he very active or does he spend a lot of time 'resting' ?
How old is he ?
Last question....:oops:.......has he had pain relief ?

Janex

yeh he has had pain relief, altho it doesnt appear to be bothering him that much.

hes on soft straw, and he also has carpet in his hutch, which i clean every 2 days bcus of his hock to avoid it getting infected. hes never been overweight, hes always been a slender bun.

hes very active, loves to run about and play, he only rests when its hot

yeh he has had pain relief, altho it doesnt appear to be bothering him that much.

hes on soft straw, and he also has carpet in his hutch, which i clean every 2 days bcus of his hock to avoid it getting infected. hes never been overweight, hes always been a slender bun.

hes very active, loves to run about and play, he only rests when its hot

Personally I'd remove the carpet. I have a lot of Rexes ( Rexes are prone to sore hocks ) and I know that if they are on carpet for any length of time their hocks get worse cos the carpet is very abbrasive.

Janex

Personally I'd remove the carpet. I have a lot of Rexes ( Rexes are prone to sore hocks ) and I know that if they are on carpet for any length of time their hocks get worse cos the carpet is very abbrasive.

Janex

oh :oops: :oops: :oops: i put it in because i thought it would be soft for his hocks, mind you, he prefers to lay on the straw, its jelly who likes the carpet, so its not reeeeally an issue but ill take it out incase he fancies a sneaky snooze on it!

im jus confused as to why he has them in the first place?

oh :oops: :oops: :oops: i put it in because i thought it would be soft for his hocks, mind you, he prefers to lay on the straw, its jelly who likes the carpet, so its not reeeeally an issue but ill take it out incase he fancies a sneaky snooze on it!

im jus confused as to why he has them in the first place?

He may have exceptionally fine fur on his feet. When at rest can you see how he takes weight on his hocks? Keeping his nails short should help too.

Janex

we always trim his nails when they get long, but he has think fur on his legs, thats why im confused by it.

what do u means by takes weight on his feet?

thanks xx

Some Buns put a disproportionate amount of presure on the 'point' of their hocks. I dont know why this should be :?
But it can obviously lead to extra 'wear and tear' on that area. Then if the skin should break down infection can easily track inwards.

I think if there is still pus appearing after a few days on Baytril it might be a good idea to ask the Vet about a more heavy duty abx. The last think you want is for the infection to track into the joint/bone/tendons.

Janex

that was my main worry, tbh i didnt think it looked 'that bad' but i just thought best to nip it in the bud...before a bigger problem came about. im just confused as to why he would have this problem as he is healthy, good weight etc...

thing is....hes the only one of ym buns who stretched 3 of four times before getting up, and he pulls his back legs out behind him and really stretches...where as most of the others just bound up with no problem unless there in a deep snooze.

im wondering if maybe he has a back/hip problem which is causing him to put excess weight on his legs, and thats causing his hocks to hurt?

or does it seem unrelated?

im wondering if maybe he has a back/hip problem which is causing him to put excess weight on his legs, and thats causing his hocks to hurt?

or does it seem unrelated?

It's something worth asking the Vet about. Any sort of discomfort affecting the mechanics of the joints or spine will cause a Bun to weight bare in ways that may cause sore hocks. The sore hocks being a secondary symptom of another primary problem.

Janex :)

oh i dont know what to do :( :(

hes going to the vets in 10 minutes, but look at it :(

hock.jpg

theres 2 close ups, and the 2nd close up ive changed the colours sou can see how big the area is thats infected... my poor boy. his other hock is now going the same way :( :(

hes on baytril but its just not working :cry: :cry: :cry:

oh i dont know what to do :( :(

hes going to the vets in 10 minutes, but look at it :(

hock.jpg

theres 2 close ups, and the 2nd close up ive changed the colours sou can see how big the area is thats infected... my poor boy. his other hock is now going the same way :( :(

hes on baytril but its just not working :cry: :cry: :cry:

Poor lad :cry:

I suspect he may need surgery to debride that and possibly a much more heavy duty abx such as Ceporex or Depocillin. And pain relief of course.

I'd def ask the Vet about the possibility of a hip/spine problem.

Please keep us updated

Janex

Oh Poor Peanut! Sorry I've no advice about it cos I've never experienced a bun with them but sending lots of vibes for Peanut, it looks so sore, I hope you can get it sorted x x

well its not good news im afraid :( :(

he has been given more baytril, metacam starting from tomorrow and a pain relief injection. Hes hocks are worse, and he asked me if he seems stiff sometimes, and i said that he often stretches alot and it stiff first thing when he moves, so i asked him if there any any chance he could have a spine problem which was causing himt o put excess pressure on his hocks...

he said that seemed to be a possibility.
he then said he could feel and see his shoulders, and he could feel like spine, and it looked like peanut was underweight. He ran his fingers down his spine, and as he reached peanuts rear end his sides started to spasm nd peanut bolted. he said his spine feels 'abormal'. Peanut has to carry on with baytril for 2 weeks and his metacam, and hopefully they will heal up and he said he cannot try a new route yet as peanut has only been on baytril since friday, which i do understand.

so we then went to weigh peanut... last year when he was neutured (august) he weight 3.4 kgs...... my porr little boy now weigh 1.98kgs.

:( :( :(
im so worried for him :(

I wonder if it might be a good idea to put him on a long course ( at least 6 weeks ) of Panacur ?
Did the Vet mention it at all ?

Janex

I wonder if it might be a good idea to put him on a long course ( at least 6 weeks ) of Panacur ?
Did the Vet mention it at all ?

Janex

no he didnt meantion it. mum said to me in the car did i think it could be worms bcus of the weight loss, but i said i thought if they had worms theyre poo went all funny?

hmmm i think panacur could be a good idea, cept he has metacam and baytril syringed every day now, i dont want to have to syringe him panacur too, im worried im going to stress him into stasis as he hasnt eaten much these past few days

can you put panacur into food or anything like that???

Back