• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Tray Emptied!

CazScho

Mama Doe
Somebun keeps emptying the litter tray out!!

I have a litter tray in the bedroom area of the hutch and one underneath in the run area for my 2 buns Harriet & Riley. The last few days the upstairs one has been decimated overnight or when I've got home from work, with the hay all kicked out and the litter but some bits and the newspaper left in. Today I get home and the whole thing has been emptied entirely, newspaper, litter, hay, and all that's in there is either one very large wee or some small ones and the odd poo. The litter tray downstairs is perfect & untouched except for poos and wees in it.

So what should I do with the litter tray upstairs? One of them obviously doesn't like something about it, but what should I do? Leave it empty??? Move it? Maybe they wanted the hay on the floor as bedding instead of newspaper, as I'd been putting all the hay in the litter trays and in their hay rack?

Hmm!! All feedback appreciated!

I dont really have any advice.. but my rabbit does this!! empties her litter tray!! i just think its cause she is naughty! :lol: and she knows ill come and clean it up! the next day its a mess again! :lol:

Im gonna watch this thread! :lol: xxx

My two do this but only when it needs cleaning . . . must be their way of telling me:D

I only have one litter tray and that's downstairs.

What kind of litter tray do you have? Bella used to do this - she'd pick it up and fling it round so it went everywhere, and then she'd pee and poo in the corner where it had been before she moved it :shock:

I got some of the square high-back litter trays instead and they're too big and heavy even for her and she's a fairly big bunny.

Both litter trays are the sqaure high backed one, and it doesn't really move!

I have newspaper in the bottom, then a layer of Carefresh (shortly changing to Megazorb) with some meadow hay over that with timmy hay at the front end. Exact same as litter tray belowdecks!!

Maybe it is just Harriet being clever!!

Hmmm - sounds like some bun's just having fun rearranging their home then :roll:

I've ordered some underbed storage boxes (recommended by Elve) from Wilkinsons so that the pen mine have access to during the day is like one big (well two) litter trays. Do you have room for something like that? With them having higher sides it might make it more difficult for whoever it is to throw stuff out, though I've found with buns that if they want to do something, they'll find a way :lol: :lol:

Buster has done the exact same thing....he does it overnight,little monkeychops!.....today I've put a bigger one in (shallow storage box) in the hope that it will stop him!!

Theres plenty of room for a bigger one - I was going to get a bigger one anyway that has more room for both to get in it. Wasn't sure about high the sides should be though as I wanted it to be easy for them to get in. Suppose the easier it is for them to get in, the easier it is to get it all out!!!

:evil: My little dears have JUST started to do this. I used to use newspaper and hay to line the litter trays and they just sat in them. But have just swapped to megazorb and hay. They've decided it's GREAT fun to turf it all out overnight! It's amazing how far a little Megazorb will go!!! Well I'm not changing it coz I've just bought four large sacks of the stuff..........!!!!! (*sighs and slinks off to collect dustpan and brush*)

I'm glad its not just me with this problem! My bunny poops in one corner but as soon we introduce some kind of litter tray, she emptys it and throws it around! We tried putting woodshavings and straw in the corner minus a tray and she moves that too :roll:

I have a two teired hutch for each of my buns, there is only one litter tray in it placed on the bottom floor. Sammy only goes to the toilet in his tray but if I'm late with his breakfast he likes to move the tray and scatter the contents everywhere!
My other bun Leon now ignores his tray most of the time and uses the other corner where his hay is, I think I'll have to get him a bigger tray!

Ha! Caught in the act!!

000_0316-1.jpg

I bought some of the underbed storage boxes and put this on in the bedroom - two minutes later I hear a digging noise and who else would it be trying to empty this one? Miss Harriet!!

000_0315.jpg

Whatchoo looking at Mrs Lady?????

000_0314.jpg

i hav a corner toilet with metal grid on top, since that one she dosnt emty it any more, just wees n poos ...and i attach it to house by two hooks, and wire so i can unhook it to take out n empty, but she cant move it anymore....:D

I have just been told by my OH that she is digging because I have hidden pellets (sorry, he is telling me that is was SUGGESTED not told) in hay previously, so all she is doing is looking for them.
Disgusted to say he may have a point.

Oh, and Harriet consented to let me stroke her for the first time today, but Riley will still have nothing to do with me more than a sniff and turn of his tail :? :lol:

Bless her :lol: :lol: What can you say?

It looks the same as the underbed storage boxes I had delivered yesterday, but they seem so deep :shock: I've not put them in for Bella and Tarquin yet because I'm a bit worried that T is too small to safely get in and out of them.

Scarlett tips the litter tray over too :lol: I just leave her too it and sweep it up :) I did try moving the tray and putting it somewhere she couldnt tip it but then she just started going on the floor :lol: x

pearl does it too... i just hoover it up and put in fresh stuff...

i think its a digging thing rather than something they dont like...

theres less dug out of the deep storage box as it gets dug about inside it but the shallow cat litter tray is no match for the queen of dig :D:roll:

Back