• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 New Bunnies (does)

wendle

Warren Veteran
I just had to have my little bunny put to sleep last sunday God Bless Him xx i have reserved 2 sisters from the same litter mini lops, which will be ready 2nd july which im lookin forward to, but still feel so sad n sick inside for my other bunny i just lost,will i start to feel any better when i got these 2 new bunnys to take care of i lost half a stone in weight with sadness,can some1 tell me what to keep in my cupboard please incase of emergencys in future cos i dont want this to happen again now i have read everything about this sad killer in our bunnys x x

I'm sorry to hear about your poor bunny :cry:

Do you know what he died of? If people know then they can advise you of what to keep in your first aid kit :) There are general items that you can have to hand, there's a thread somewhere. If an illness is life threatening though, a rabbit should always see a vet asap :)

Here's a recent thread about first aid kits: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132453&highlight=fibreplex

Some people cope very well with taking on new animals straight away, it helps with the grieving process, others cannot get another animal for a long time. Only you will know what feels right :)

he had stopped eating and pooin but i didnt no about stasis and i took him to the vets last sunday but sadly the vet said his tummy was empty an there was no contractions at all , and his head had started twitching as if his nerves as gone too , the vet told me he could give him medication but there was only a 30% chance it would work , i spoke with vet n he agreed with me to have him put to sleep , which im still crying about now x

Hi, I am really sorry to hear about your bunny. I lost one which I was really fond of last October (left him with a friend who was house sitting while I was away and he was dead within 2 days, I never knew why but friend not in good books...).
Anyway I just recently got round to getting a couple of new baby bunnies and they give me such pleasure! DH is totally jealous! They can't replace my first rabbit - he was such a character and one of the family, but I love them to bits already!

he had stopped eating and pooin but i didnt no about stasis and i took him to the vets last sunday but sadly the vet said his tummy was empty an there was no contractions at all , and his head had started twitching as if his nerves as gone too , the vet told me he could give him medication but there was only a 30% chance it would work , i spoke with vet n he agreed with me to have him put to sleep , which im still crying about now x

Lots of people don't know about stasis until the unspeakable happens, you are not alone :) Many people do not realise how delicate the rabbit's digestive system is and how crucial it's function is to their survival. You have to come to the right place for information :)

My first aid kit contains the following:

- Science Recovery (liquid food for critical care - helps to combat stasis)
- Fibreplex (probiotic fibre supplement - aids normal gut movement - helpful for recovery after stasis)
- Bio Lapis (probiotic water supplement - helps to replenish normal micro bacteria in the gut - helpful for young buns, after operations or stasis etc)
- Syringes (for giving some of the above and warm warter during stasis)
- Cotton Wool pads
- Cotton wools buds
- Nail clippers
- Baby Wipes (unscented)
- Grooming brush (excess ingested hai can cause blockages and stasis)

Some people keep pineapple tablets or bromelaine tablets which helps the gut function and to break down ingested hair etc.

When an how often do you give the bunnys the pineapple tabs please and when do i get them vaccinated at what age and do i need to get them both *does* spayed plz :eek:)

my other rabbit is around 7yrs old now,some awful human being was throwin him into the fields cos they couldnt be bothered with him , my other rabbit was just 12months old n had the same to eat as my older rabbit but i think i fed them too many veggies n treats too if some kind person could give me a days feedin guide for my 2 new bunnies what im gettin on the 2nd july i would really be appreciative, i have already purchased oxbows Timothy hay,alfalfa nibbles,and their 15/23 pellets for young n active bunnys and i also bought some papaya n pineapple tablets from oxbows too :eek:)

Binkcat - I buy my first aid kit supplies from Vetuk but The Hay Experts and other bunny shops also sell Science Recovery link

Unsure if they are available at Pets at Home as rarely go in there :)

Wendle - There's a thread going on about Bromelain tabs here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=133919

I think they can have one every other day as a treat, and once a day during a heavy moult.

Both should ideally be spayed to prevent uterine cancer which is very high in unspayed females over two years of age :( It will also make them calmer and happier and generally more pleasant to be around :lol:

The hay you've got is good, Timothy is generally very much liked! :D It should be readily available - pretty much on tap, as far as I know a rabbit can't have TOO MUCH hay! ;) They should eat approx their volume in hay each day :)

Lots of people use those pellets too and you should probably switch them to the "T" (sorry, forgotten the proper name) ones when they are a bit older. The packet should give you a rough indication of how much they should get, but generally manufactures tell you to feed them more than they actually need, obviously because that means you buy more :roll: A large handful between them, morning and night is probably a good amount. However being young they could have a few more. Lots of people use an egg cup as a measure ;)

You can give a small amount of veggies too, dark green leaf veg is ok, but not too much kale as it's quite high in calcium. Like with all food very should be introduced very slowly, one type of veg at a time so as not to upset tummies. Seeing as your new buns are babies, they should not have veg at all for a while, say 3-4 months to be on the safe side. Although you may want another opinion on that, I only really give mine veg as a treat.

They like fresh herbs too, my Bobbin is particularly partial to a yummy basil leaf :lol:

Back