• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do you put in the cage.

Rose

Mama Doe
What do you put on the bottom of the cage. At the moment i use wood shavings and news paper as well as hay for bedding. Molly has a litter tray and will use it but will also everywhere else. Any ideas?

2 litter trays containing ecopetbed (chopped cardboard) with newspaper underneath and inside the trays to catch any spills around the edges, and to make emptying the litter trays easier.

Deej's hayrack is above one of the litter trays so that one normally has lots of hay in too! He pees in the one without hay a little more than the one with - which he likes to sleep in!

When he was in a hutch outside he had newspaper with wood shavings and hay in his bed compartment.

Woodshavings from softwood are thought to effect the liver - I switched to cardboard bedding years ago due to having rats (very sensitive respiratory system so 'safe' shavings like aspen weren't an option either, due to their dusty nature) and these work well with buns too. I've also used hemp bedding in the past, though it's a bit messy (nice and absorbant though)

In the hutch they have carpet tiles in the main part and a big pillow thing with a cover in the sleeping bit in summer, with tons of straw in winter. I don't put any of that in there in summer because I keep it all to minimum to keep flies away.
THe litter tray and hay box is underneath in the run and I either use Megazorb or wood pellets as litter.

For the buns indoors I use the same stuff as litter and they don't have beds, they have a sheet under our bed and a folded up rug but most of the time they sleep on the carpet.

In the hutches I use soft Barley straw on top of newspaper. It's a great insulator in winter.

The indoor cages have towels and pet fleeces.

I have newspaer to line the hutch with and 2 litter trays - one with sawdust and straw in fir hte loo end and one with hay in for the bedding area.

So let me get this right? I dont have to put wood shavings in my inside cage? I find it makes a right mess and Lola gets covered in it and it sticks to her fur. She does not seem to like it neither as she wont sleep on it.

What else can I use instead rather than wood shavings? Can I use Vet bed?

For my active rabbits I use carpet and vetbed in their crates with a litter tray with paper and hay in.

For my less mobile rabbits, I use towels and vet bed again with litter trays of hay and paper.

My outside bunnies just have paper and hay and some of the older bunnies have shelves with vetbed on too

:wave: newspaper to line the bottom of the crate, carpet on the "bedroom" level.

and a litter tray with Tesco paper based litter, lovely jubbly!

Back