• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites - Best treatment?

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hi guys :wave:

I hope you are all doing fine and sorry not to have been here for a while.

My bunny Nell has really bad mites, I have only just noticed and she has actually lost a lot of hair in a matter of two days, her wee leg is quite baldy.

We are going off the vet at half past five for him to have a look.

I think it is definitely mites, she has had them before.

What is the best treatment for mites now? My vet used to get me to give oral Bimectin once a week (I think about 4 times) but I thought it was rubbish.

Are there any injectable treatments or what are the best spot on treatments for them. I just want to get her out of her itchy misery as soon as possible.

Fiona xxx

I've found Ivermectin to be the best treatment, it can be used as drops but in severe cases I have used the injection which cleared the infestation up quickly. We had a course of 2 jabs....I think they were given 14 days apart but it may have been 10.

Hello stranger! :D

I agree about ivermectin - I think it's the only stuff that shifts them, but does need follow ups.

i got some pippetes of somethin...ill try n find them and give uthe name later...from pets at home u squeeze it onto their necks and again two weeks later, bit like frontline flea stuff i guess.it was 3;99, i did it on monday so ill let u know how it goin as it improves. Kayj recommended it to me from Bunnyhops, she treats her buns with it.

Bertie had quite a bad dose of mites a couple of months ago, and had 4 ivermectin jabs, a week apart. TBH, it cleared up after 2, but we went with the others to finish them off properly, and he's had no probs since.
I do now have some Xeno drops in, to nip it in the bud if it happens again :)

I agree, Ivermectin was what I've had at the vets each time I've had a problem (the buns and others, not me :lol:)

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. She has had Ivermectin and is getting more in 2 weeks and then in 2 weeks again

Thank very much! Fiona and Nell x

Back