• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whose responsibility is it?

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
To make sure a rabbit has the relevant vaccinations?

I say initially the owner because they should have read about or asked about rabbit care etc before buying a rabbit whether it be privately, pet shop or rescue and I am sure rescues would advise this anyway if they weren't already jabbed before rehoming.

Then there's the vet who after giving the Myxi jab should advise the client to return 2 weeks later for the VHD.

A boarding establishment IMO should inform the potential customer that vaccinations are required for both before they will be accepted for boarding and also explain when and how they need doing. Certificates should then be checked upon arrival before allowing the animal into the accomodation.

Why then have I been shouted at, verbally abused and almost physically attacked and had the contents of the rabbits carry cases tipped all over my floor this morning because I refused a rabbit without the proper vaccinations?!!!!!!

The owner told me her rabbits are only 14 weeks old so not old enough to be vaccinated and her vet told her VHD is not required because it's an old fashioned disease and not needed. They were jabbed for Myxi in May so no reason why IMO a VHD vac could not have been given 2 weeks ago at least.

All our correspondence quite clearly states that no rabbits are accepted for boarding without the relevant vaccinations.

I am just fuming at this woman and her ignorance.

I called her vet and spoke to the vet who jabbed the buns for Myxi and was told the lady hadn;t actually bothered to turn up for her appointments.:censored:

Rant over:censored:

OMG I am shocked at her behaviour and you would think the person in question would want to protect her buns by having them vaccinated.

I'd say it is the owners responsibility.
I do the booster reminders at or vet, and it is scary how few rabbits appear on the list. When the rabbits are first taken in the vets advise mxyi and VHD, we even have a sheet for new rabbit owners which explains all about the diseases, neutering and dental requirements. Quite a lot of people get the myxi but don't come back for the VHD. Often we olny see the rabbit after it is a couple of years old and has gone off its food, or something. Until then they haven't even been registered!

It is definately the owners responsibility. I like you will not let rabbits board if they haven't brought proof of the vaccinations with them. I got a phone call a couple of weeks ago of a client that was due to board their rabbit, they phoned me to say that they forgot to get the vaccs done and would it be alright if they brought it anyway. My answer was No as there is no point me having it written on all my paperwork and on my website if I will accept without vaccs, they were ok about it.
As for your client I think my manners may have gone out of the window and said something not very nice:evil:

That's terrible - poor you. Some people :censored: There is no way on this earth that I would want my bunnies going anywhere if they weren't properly protected. Can't people see that?

And having finally :oops: sent my form back to you, both the form and accompanying letter clearly state they won't be accepted without the necessary vaccination certificates being produced, so what's her problem.

It's the poor bunnies you've got to feel really sorry for :cry:

thats terrible!!! no wonder you are furious. when Lola stayed with you i was made fully aware that she would need to be fully upto date with the vaccs (which she was but thats not the point) All paper work was very clear on the subject. it must be so hard dealing with people like that.

The first thing you said to me when I enquired was that you wouldn't take any bunnies without all their vaccinations....which is fair enough, you have other people's and your own rabbits to protect and your reputation is your livelyhood.

Incidentally this meant I can't board any of my buns with you :oops: at the moment because 3 cant have various jabs presently and are bonded with my vax'd bunnies but I still understood your reasons. Some people are so flipping ignorant it's untrue.

ETA- You could have Calli now she's a singleton though :lol:

Last edited:
Thats horrendous! The fact that she got angry and shouted would have caused me to have to seriously bite my tongue. I can not stand ignorance, especially when it has been explained.

The fact that she got angry and abused you in that way is obviously terrible and she had no right. However vaccination is a personal choice and there are arguments on both sides, even if the other side is rarely heard or even known about, so i dont condemn people who choose not to. I understand why you dont want unvaxd bunnies in boarding though so obviously she shouldnt have got angry at you, just said ok and left it

Thanks everyone - I was just a bit shaken up and so annoyed with her. I know I did the right thing in saying no, but I have been worrying ever since she left as to what she has done with those rabbits. She was going away straight from here and they were here for over 2 weeks. I hate to think that they might have just been left unattended whilst they go away.

Not only that but these rabbits were Contis, albeit only 14 weeks old they were still a fair size and I dread to think what their future holds if she doesn't even make herself aware of vaccinations.

She was just an awful person, followed me everywhere whilst I was talking to her vet on the phone, just stormed through our house and plonked herself on the sofa whilst ranting about me to her partner down the phone and calling us all liars. I called the vet to double check as sometimes they do forget to mark on vac cards that they have been done, but nope they hadn't:(

She wanted her money back which I refused in line with our terms and conditions, but she has threatened to come back with her husband when they get back or to sue, so we shall just have to wait and see what happens.

Hubby and I were wondering if we should notify anyone such as the police because of the way she was, but I dont know, as no crime as such was committed.

I'm just worried about the rabbits.:cry:

Last edited:
Well I think you were already very restrained as if it were me I would have called the police when she just walked into your house and sat down on your couch. Why do people think that raising their voices and getting insulting and mean will get them anywhere? That makes a person even less likely to help!

I would inform the police if i were you. Just tell them she let herself into your house with threatening and abusive behaviour and has threatened to come back to confront you with a male. At least if you have warned them and it happens, they will take it more seriously?

What a vile woman! Good on you for standing your ground - what right has she to expect you to put your own buns & others at risk due to her ignorance. It's definitely her responsibility to ensure her buns needs are met properly, including vaccinations. I would definitely consider contacting the police, just to protect yourself for when she returns from her hols.

Both places that I use for boarding say on their websites and in their booking confirmation that all bunnies must be up to date with their vaccinations two to three weeks before they arrive there. It is part of the booking contract then, surely. She can't claim any money back. It is definitely her responsibility and her fault. What a rude person. Sorry that you had such a bad experience. :(

OMT what a horrible woman! :evil:
I know that vaccinating is a personal choice but when you are placing your bunnies in boarding you are mixing them with many other people's buns and the only way that can work is that everybun is vaccinated! I'm surprised by her attitude i would have thought everyone knew that boarding warrens/cateries/kennels! required vaccination certs. :roll:
My OH, by the way, says a crime has been committed if she was verbally abusive to you.
I think you did the right thing and the only thing really that you could have done. Like you though I'd be worried about what she's done with those little buns now :?:(

I can't believe she did that, some people just have no grasp on how to behave. Obviously if your animals are going into boarding they need their vaccs.

Back