• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Neutering Questions

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Max and Ruby were neutered on Tuesday and I have shut off the ramp to their under run so they don't over do it - they seem fine though and Max is going a little stir crazy how long do you think I need to confine them to the hutch for to aid their recovery I'm thinking Max may be fine but as Ruby's spay is a little more serious she may do herself some damage going up the ramp?

Also they have had their Myxi vaccination and they were booked in for today to have VHD (2 weeks later) but as they have been messed about this week and I have heard this can sometimes make them a little poorly I have put it off, how long do you think I should wait before I get this vac done?

Thanks,

personally I wouldn't do a VHD straight after a spey- check with your vet but I think its best to recover from one thing at a time.

I have just had my (free-range outdoor) rabbit speyed on Weds and have been told 48hrs indoors-ie... inside the house at room temperature not in a shed, and a minimum of 5 days hutch rest. The post-op check-up with the vet is on Monday who will decide if she can hop around out of the hutch a little, but hutch rest can be up to 10days depending on the post op check.

Yes they do get very restless the more they recover. You will need to consider how much distress they are in by being kept in against the potential damage/risk of infection to the wound by letting them out jumping around.

I suggest you speak to your vet about the VHD at your post -op check.

best wishes for their speedy recovery-Sue:wave:

Last edited:
Back