• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & Chins

ellejay

Warren Scout
Hi All,

I would really love to get a house bunny or two, the thing is I have 3 chins and although they would not be out together etc they would obviously be in the same house and as house bunnies they may say hello through the cage.
My question is, are there any diseases etc that could be passed from rabbit to chins or chins to rabbits. eg are rabbits carriers of something that may harm the chins?
I always wash before moving from one animal to the next.

I would really appreciate any advice on this matter.
All my new animals are quarantined until they have been seen by the vet.

Thanks

Chinchillas can suffer from coccidiosis, there was apparently a spate of it going around chinchillas last year. Going to a rabbit rescue that knows a lot about illnesses, symptoms etc shold greatly decrease the chances of getting ill rabbits though.
I'd mind that the buns couldn't stick their nose through the bars though, I had a bit of the tip of a finger kindly removed by one of my chins (my own fault, I had babyfood on it after feeding a poorly rat :lol:) so a nosy bunny could very easily be made noseless after a nip from a cihn defending its cage (or just being curious)
Also take care to not let them out together - a member on here used to let her chinchilla out with their buns, but mine met once (without me meaning them to) and I had a large bunny very quickly fly towards this extra fluffy intruder with some territorial grunts and then chased him off. Given her size, she could've easily done some damage to the delicate bones of a chinchilla, plus as I'm sure you know chinchillas are prone to heatstroke so I wouldn't want the stress of a chase potentially causing them to overheat/cause a fit

Thanks for the reply.

I have just nipped across to the vets and she said that there wouldn't be any problem with keeping rabbits and chins in same area.

No I would never let them out together. Thanks for the tip about the little noses, I will section the chin cage off instead of risk this.

At school the chins and rabbits live in the same room (was well as guinea pigs and birds) and the rabbits do "meet" the rodents sometimes through the bars. (Although not right now as the guinea pigs have been quarantined due to an outbreak of mites:()

I had a chin in rescue and it was sharing the garage with my rescue buns and I had no problems what so ever.

:wave: hi i have 2 buns and a chin called archie, and have no probs, but i always keep them apart when archie as free run of upstairs.

Back