• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear abcesses in rabbits EDIT now with post-op pics

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Hello, this topic has become of particular interest to me because I have now had 3 out of 4 of my rabbits with an ear abcess (and none are related to my knowledge). Apparently it is a very common problem in wild rabbits and most likely not something you'd spot unless you knew what you were looking for. Thanks to the especially complex design of the rabbit ear canal, it is difficult to drain the abcess (unlike in cats and dogs) and anti-biotics alone are near on useless without performing surgery - rather expensive surgery at that.

Thankfully 2 of the 3 have recovered well from the op, Sylvia gets a slight re-occurence of infection every now and then but it's maneagable with Canaural and saline cleaning. Humphrey had his op on Monday, the wound is looking pretty grim at the moment but hopefully he will turn out well too with the correct aftercare.

I thought for a while I must be very unlucky to have 75% of my rabbits with an ear abcess... then I thought, maybe it's a lot more common than people realise. Any other owner experiences would be very interesting to hear about! helen

Last edited:
Detailed pics of post-surgical ear op

Here is Humphrey's ear where they took the abcess out. They leave an opening so it can be cleaned with saline daily and drained of any puss or debris, this opening then remains. You can see the purple stitches around the outside, these have not started to come out yet. As you can see it is still quite raw and in the process of healing as he only had the op last Monday.

949d8dd5.jpg

Before cleaning

b1178da3.jpg

After cleaning - usually a small white 'plug' of debris is washed out

04d54270.jpg

Equipment - otoscope to check for debris in the ear canal (nb at the moment this is only used to shine light on the wound); saline solution and a large syringe; 1x Ceporex injection (for 7 days); 1ml Baytril (10 days min); 0.1ml Metacam (7-10 days); and a mild ear cleaner (forgot to put this in the photo); in the later stages, it may be necessary to use Canaural to fight off any remaining infection in the ear (twice daily for 5 days)

1257035a.jpg

At the moment it's looking quite good, will try and post an update once the stitches have come out. helen

Last edited:
It takes dedication doesn't it?....i remember the wound my Bella came home with over ther eye when she had her abcess excised....good luck with it!

It takes dedication doesn't it?....i remember the wound my Bella came home with over ther eye when she had her abcess excised....good luck with it!

It does indeed! Thankfully Humphrey is quite good at having all this done. Sylvia was not good and Tilly was ok but he is the best so far.

helen

Back