• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

:( Picollo has had to stay in vets tonight - U/D good news but also v. confusing. . .

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
I took Picollo today to our vet as he has just in general lost condition and has a bit of a messy bum :? He lives with his sister Lettice who is in brilliant condition, ideal our vet says but Picollo :(
Emily (vet) said his mucous membranes, teeth and skin inside his ears was a bit yellow so it appears he's a bit jaundiced. I think he could be drinking a bit more than usual too but in the warmth I've also seen their bottle leaking so I presumed it was that, but now i'm guessing it probably was him.
He is bright in himself and Emily says he doesn't feel or know he's ill. He's eating everything, pellets, hay, veg and is spritely but obviously something is going on cos he's lost weight and muscle tone too.
I've been told it could be he has an infection in his bile duct (?) which is causing this, or perhaps a genetic problem/weakness, having said that he's 18 months and she said she would have thought he would have presented with it sooner if it was genetic. :?
He's the most adorable little bunny, who, I guess would not have survived had we not have stepped in and supplemented his milk as he was the runt out of a litter of 10, he was developmentally a few days behind every other bun.
Please can you spare some vibes for my little man? Hopefully by this time tomorrow they'll have gotten a wee sample have found a bit more out about whats going on. But she said even though he doesn't know it, he is quite an ill bunny :cry: I'm quite worried x

Last edited:
Poor chap :cry:

I hope your Vet can help him

Lots of vibes on their way.............

Janex

Thank you Jane x Can I ask, have you experienced this, or any bile duct/liver problems with your buns?
I'm worries cos I unfortunately had to take the kids with me (OH wasn't home yet) to vets which is always a complete mission :roll: but I'm worried that Emily didn't tell me everything cos she didn't want to upset me infront of the kids. I just wonder cos I said to her 'you can make him better though?' and she answered 'yea' but seemed a bit uneasy like there could have been a but. I didn't press cos the kids would have been well on their way to wrecking her consulting room :oops: but I'm being paranoid and wondering what the but, if there was one! could be.
He was out in the run with Lettice munching furiously on grass this afternoon before we left. Its so sad to think he's really quite unwell when he's so young and lively still :? :cry:

Thank you so much for thinking of him everyone x x

Thanks Liz. How's Flint and Fern doing today?

Fern is a little brighter today, but still eating the same small amounts, Flint isn't eating much in anyone go either. I dispair :roll:

Keep us updated on Picollo tomorrow

:wave: well Picollo is ok. He's staying at the vets with his sister tonight too.
The good news is his bloods came back all clear. So his liver and kidney function is fine and he doesn't have diabeties. Which is really good.
However Emily is a bit stumped as to his weight loss etc now. He has been drinking more than normal and is wetting down his back legs.
Emily is going to treat him for a urinary infection and for pin worms, which may explain weight loss though he is eating. They haven't managed to get a urine sample yet so I think they'll have been onto that later tonight and tomorrow.
So all in all a bit odd. :? Though she did say perhaps him being the runt accounts for his yellowy teeth etc. Its all very confusing as like I said his sister lives with him in the same environment and she's in peak condition :?
Any suggestions as to what may be going on very welcome!!!

I dont have any suggestions but im glad his bloods didnt show a manger problems Sending loads of healing vibes for Picollo.

I'm glad his bloods came back ok, but I know how awful it is not knowing what is going on.

Did the blood test include e. cuniculi? As that could be one possibility, but I suppose if it was that, his kidneys would have shown up as a problem :?

I'm glad his bloods came back ok, but I know how awful it is not knowing what is going on.

Did the blood test include e. cuniculi? As that could be one possibility, but I suppose if it was that, his kidneys would have shown up as a problem :?

:wave: just pm'd you :)
Emily seemed to think it wasn't EC. Would a blood test show EC or would that have to be urine? I'll check that with her tomorrow as to why she potentially thinks not EC :? x

:wave: just pm'd you :)
Emily seemed to think it wasn't EC. Would a blood test show EC or would that have to be urine? I'll check that with her tomorrow as to why she potentially thinks not EC :? x

:wave: just pm'd you back :D

Blood tests will show ec but they would have to be looking for it specifically and the results normally take a week or so to come back

:wave: just pm'd you back :D

Blood tests will show ec but they would have to be looking for it specifically and the results normally take a week or so to come back

ah ok. they have facilities to get certain results onsite. I will ask specifically if it has been tested for tomorrow though. Blimey, they're such a worry arent they!

Back