• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I need to split my buns? When are they fertile?

lollypop

New Kit
Hi,
I have been reading the forum for about a week now and have 2 rabbits who are 15 weeks now. They are male and female and I will be getting the both fixed as soon as possible (should be within the next few weeks) As its only going to be a couple of weeks do I have to split them or will they be okay until 16 or 17 weeks or will she end up pregnant? Sorry to sound stupid, but I just don't want to split them unless I absolutly have to.

If his bits have dropped she will already be at risk of pregnancy. You need to neuter as soon as his bits drop from 12 weeks up to enable young buns to not be split.

If you can't get neutered as soon as bits drop, split them today & keep him away from her until 6 weeks after his neuter or until she is spayed

Hi,

Same thing happened to us - we got a pair of females and discovered that one was male when we went to the vet, ours are about 11 weeks old so we have separated them.

Dobby is booked in on the 4th of July for his Op.

We were told to keep the bunnies in contact, so they could see each other and in the garden we have a pen that I put one of them in and they can go and bunny kiss through the bars ( I feel so bad - like a jailer ). If you have the space then make sure they get to see each other and close enough to smell each other till they are reunited.

Steve

Time to separate I'm afraid. She could well end up pregnant if you dont. The boy could probably be neutered from now onwards but the girlie would need another month or so. Best to seprarate now to avoid a pregnancy x

If you've got a good vet I'd book them both in for neutering that way they could stay together. As its quite possible the female could be pregnant an emergency spay would stop it - it's not good for a rabbit that young to get pregnant!

I'm pretty sure his bits haven't dropped yet. I can see pink bits either side, but they are still flat and I can't feel anything. He can't be done until he drops anyway can he? The earliest I can get a vet to do them is 16 weeks. I will get them booked in asap. Would I need to tell the vet they have been together? I really don't want to its a bit embarrasing that I have got it so wrong.
What is the likely hood of a bunny getting pregnant so young in percentage terms? Is it very common? They are rex by the way.

I'm pretty sure his bits haven't dropped yet. I can see pink bits either side, but they are still flat and I can't feel anything. He can't be done until he drops anyway can he? The earliest I can get a vet to do them is 16 weeks. I will get them booked in asap. Would I need to tell the vet they have been together? I really don't want to its a bit embarrasing that I have got it so wrong.
What is the likely hood of a bunny getting pregnant so young in percentage terms? Is it very common? They are rex by the way.

Well if they bred more than once than it is most likely not going to be unsuccessful anyhow If he is younger than 5months he is most likely to young to have much 'stuff' to get her pregnant

Well if they bred more than once than it is most likely not going to be unsuccessful anyhow If he is younger than 5months he is most likely to young to have much 'stuff' to get her pregnant

His stuff can get her pregnant as soon as he starts to make it. From 12 weeks up if his bits have dropped. Girls take slightly longer to develop but safe to say from about 14 weeks up they are "at it like rabbits".

Pregnancy in young rabbits is extremely common & extrememly bad for them. I picked up 2 5 month old buns last year - the girl was late in her pregnancy.

To get boy bun neutered you don't need to tell the vet they were together - although if they are bonded they should go to vets together. To get girl neutered you need to tell vet - as (s)he may be performing an abortion.

Back