• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hi,New here,Need help please.

Hi Everyone,:wave:
I have been reading the forum for a while but not posted.
I have two Bunnies,Rolo and Cookie,they are brothers about 16 months old,but Rolo keeps getting attacks of "stasis"Is that right?He has been to the vets twice with it,had an injection and been given Zantac and liquid feeds,luckily he had recovered very quickly.THis morning he was fine first thing,bouncing around but he has now gone into the corner of his hutch looking really sorry for himself,I'm worried he is starting another attack and wondering about Infacol?I have heard it mentioned a lot on here.Should I try this or rush him to the vets?I did take him once before ,I panic,:( and the vet said he was fine ,a little bit bunged up,but to change his diet to just pellets which I have now done.Any suggestions would be appreciated,I'm worried,thanks

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your bunny has not been well. :(

Has your vet done any investigative work to find out why he keeps getting attacks of stasis? It's not normal for bunnies to keep getting ill like this.

Hi,Sooz ,He said it was down to diet,I was spoiling him but have changed this now.(Ive just realised Iv'e put my Email instead of username and I don't know how to change it?any ideas.)
I asked about investigations but the vet said if he's fine in between he didn't think there was a major problem.Is it worth trying Infacol?

did the vet say what was wrong with his diet? Are you giving him:

Constant access to hay to eat
ad lib water,
A good quality pelleted rabbit food like Excel or science selective (If not you have to carefully change the bunny over during the course of a week to prevent tummy problems)
A selection of veg to eat (again introduced slowly & cut out any that seem to casue problems)
Keeping "treats" to just a few pellets or tiny bits of carrot or apple
Is he getting lots of excersise.
Is he moulting (in which case a bit of fresh pineapple & daily grooming may help)

If he's in stasis he needs to go back to the vet, if you are not a highly experienced bunny owner I wouldn't risk treating it yourself...I wouldn't :D If the above tips don't sort him out it might be worth putting up another post asking for recomendations a decent vet in your area if they are unwilling to investigate further.

Hi ecudc
The vet said that the muesli mix wasn't suiting him,he was leaving all the pellets.He has now been changed to excel pellets ,I did it gradually,he has fresh water ,hay everyday and is in his run most of the time.He has a little slice of apple a few times a week,sometimes greens.I think it's best to take him to the vets now,I don't like to leave him even though he ate ok this morning.

Hi,

Excel doesn't suit every bunny mine are now on Science selective. You might want to put some pro biotic in their water to see if that helps.

Could he be eating anything else that keeps giving him these attacks

Maureen

Hi Mobunny,
Thanks for all your replies everyone.I have just got back from the vets his bowels were working well,which he proved whilst there.She said his actual stomach was swollen,probably something has irritated it,he had jabs for the pain and she said his diet was good but something could irritate it,he had some broccolli yesterday ,it could be that,so I have got to do a process of elimination to see what triggers it.She gave me some metacam to give him if it happens again to see if that sorts him out ,otherwise take him back.I did ask if something else could be going on but she said she was sure he would be losing weight if it was anything serious,he does get over these attacks pretty quickly so will keep an eye on him.They worry the life out of you don't they?
Mobunny,probiotic sounds like a good idea,where would I get that?

some buns do find brocolli makes them gassy.....cabbage & brussle sprouts too....
Probiotic is good....I get mine from pets at home its with the small animal vitamins, I think you can also get it online. You sprinkle it on water or food. Wweet foods like carrot and apple can feed any bad bacteria in the guts so it might be worth removing them for a bit too to see if it settles down. I guess on the veg front that leaves you:

celery
raddish
possibly spring greens
parsley & other herbs.

to try.

Back