• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to change from mix to pellets?

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Hi All
My two girls are currently on Wagg Bunny Brunch which is a muesli mix. Even tho they came from separate places they were both fed this mix so I kept them on this. They seem to pick out the bits they like and leave the small pellets.

They dont seem to be eating much hay - even tho Ive tried different varieties and I think a way to sort this may be to change to pellets and to perhaps drop the amount i feed them.

They are both lops - Willow was 1.6kg at last vet visit and Harvey was 2.1kg. What I'd like to know is what ratio do I use in order to swap them over and over what period of time?

Also, in order to improve hay consumption, is it best to feed them one portion of pellets a day or split it into two small portions?

Which pellets would people recommend. Ive read about Science Select and Excel Super Rabbit?! Are these readily available?

Sorry about the lengthy post and amount of questions!

I use excel diet but either is fine, which ever is easiest to get hold of (although some people have had tummy trouble with Excel I've never had any).

For your two they should be getting about 2 small egg cupfulls of pellets (usually in the morning) between the two and about a cereal full of veg in the evening once they are weened onto veg.

Swap them over to the pellets by popping in a few pellets each day ^ gradually increasing the proportion. It will take about a week. I'm not surprised they are leaving the wag pellets they taste horrible. If they aren't taking to the excel/science selective you can try one of the more tasty junior pellets or pets at home adult and then gradually ween them off that too.

Keeping the food to a minimum should help with the hay eating but it may also be that your hay isn't very nice.....mine are quite fussy and will only eat either Excel superforage, OXbow or from the dust free hay company. The hay should be slightly green.

Back