• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chicken attacked me!! HELP!!

obicat

Young Bun
following my other post yesterday, things have gotten worse :( chicken attacked my foot his morning when i went into the kitchen, i shoved him off :oops: without even thinking, it Was just reaction :oops: and hes been fairly subdued all day.

Hes out again tonight, as in full run of the flat rather than just the kitchen and his hutch as a base. i've just gone to the toilet and he followed me, came up sniffed me and was bouncing about etc. As i walked out of the toilet he launched a full blown attack :shock: i actually felt the force of the bite through thick denim jeans :(

He having his innoculations at the end of june and the plan Was then to neuter him afterwards if the vet says its feasible (hes only 4months old) I really dont want to do it before then as I'm commuting in and out of London, i'm only out of the house from 8 till 6, but as of july i'll be able to come home at lunch time to check him.

so what do i do now? is it cos hes lonely? he cant have a friend til hes neutered, and i'm here with him from 6ish till midnight every night :? and he has the full run of the kitchen when i'm out as well as loads and loads of toys. plus he came from a breedig background where he was kept alone, so i dont think its that

but he really did attack me in an incredibly aggressive way :( if i hadnt had jeans on it would have been a really nasty bite, and probably scratch etc. i cant bear to keep him cooped up in the cage til july, but realistically, this is my first rabbit as a grown up and i'm probably out of my depth with an agressive rabbit :(

Once he'd moved away i stamped y feet and growled at him, i didnt want to stamp when he as near in case i stamped on him :oops:

help!! i just want to do the best by him! but i'm a diabetic and a cut on my feet/lower legs isnt good news for me...

i think hes just matured early! i got my male neutured at exactly 12 weeks, not because he was particulary angry i just didnt want him 2 get to that stage as my others had been neutured when they were 7 months old and the hormones took longer 2 die down.

It would be fine to neuter at 4 months. You could always book him a slot first thing for his op and ask them to keep him 24hrs and pick him up the following evening. it will cost you a bit extra though - I don't know what your budget is like?

Boys tend to recover very fast from castration. Just ask for them to use internal stitches and glue so there is nothing to chew. That tends to be the most common issue.

While your at home you could take up wearing wellies - that protects your legs.

Tam

I really dont want to do it when I've got to leave him fom 8 till 6, I'm probably paranoid, but i keep reading all these horror stories about how quickly they go downhill :(

Something else thats worrying me is syringing him food and water, there is NO WAY he will let me do that :( do you always need to do that? in fact i'm pretty worried about the vet handling him tbh! I know vets wont handle aggressive skitty horses, does that apply to a bunny?

I cant believe that I went out of my way to choose a bunny with a very calm placid nature and all of a sudden hes become aggressive! I'm very disheartened with all this at the min :( hes not going anywhere, hes my responsiblitly now, but I dont want to spend the next x number of years with him and me being unhappy :(

:wave: This probably isn't any help but I will share anyway...My house bun Munchie always bites my legs if I have trousers/jeans on. At first we thought he just didn't like my O/H because Munchie kept running around his legs and giving him a bite. Then we realised that he does the same thing to me if I have trousers/jeans on (don't wear them that often). If I have a skirt on I don't have any problems with him :? strange things bunnies do :lol:

you shouldn't need to syringe feed or water after neutering, as far as i know.

i'm sorry he's a naughty aggro bunny, you never know what happens after neutering though, he'll probably go back to being an angel.

If he's suddenly started the behaviour at an age his hormones kick in then odds are it will greatly improve after neutering.

You only need to syringe feed a bun when they are very sick. If they are ill enough to need it they aren't usually energetic enough to worry about the biting.

It would be very unusual to have to syringe feed a male. Usually they are slightly quiet when they come home the evening of the op then back to normal by the following morning.

Vets/nurses should be used to wriggly/naughty patients, as long as you've got a good bunny vet there should be no problems :) They tend to behave better in an unfamiliar environment too.

Im sure he'll calm right down after neutering :) my bunnies pull on the legs of my jeans to get my attention. It could mean - "i want a fuss", "i want food", "what are you doing?" or "you're in my way" :lol: Could he have done this but been a fiesty wih it?

Nigel sometimes nips my feet when Im sitting at the table because under the table is his territory, but its not hard and he just wants me to move them :roll:

I had Nigel deplummed at 14 weeks, as soon as they dropped - because he is a grumpy so and so at the best of times and he was naughty! He was fine after. Getting him a girlfriend really helped too, especially because she was older and calmed him down. He loves her and dotes on her and has become a bit soppy now, although still a bit grumpy. :roll:

can you make Chicken a run that attatches to his cage so he has a bigger space to play in without being free range? that way you can interact with him from the other side of the bars and he gets the exercise he needs. i really would try the neutering option, it would make the world of difference.

Back