• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

carpet burns??

hiya:wave:. just been givin my little man some smooths, and noticed a small patch (surface area size of a pea) on his back foot which is furless and red (has like a scabby apperance to it). could it be a carpet burn? (hes always racin round the room, and binkin- could that have caused it?).

any help would be good. i have some metacam should i give him a drop of that?. although hes eatin, drinkin, but he does a bit miserable the last 2 days, but ive just put that down to the heat.
x

Could it be mites? When my rabbit had mites it started as a bald patch which looked like it had a scuff on & they also left him feeling a bit down.. however this was on his neck/shoulders so maybe it is a carpet burn or he's caught himself on something?? Hope he's okay :).

thankyou for gettin back to me:). its strange you sayin mites cause he has had dandruff on his one ear, i have had a look under the microscope and cant see them movin, it really does seem like dandruff tho. i spoke to the vets (although not my rab savvy one) and she said that buns can get dandfuff, and bring him in if it gets worse (it seem to be gettin better).

should i put some sudocrem on it?.

x

No he shouldn't need metacam. Rabbits do a tiny bald spot on the joint at the heel. It should be covered over with fur though - a bit like a comb over. If you were poking his feet and noticed it then it's probably just that.

Rabbits can also get sores on the bottom of their feet 'sore hocks' which can be from flooring. Long nails can attribute to it too.

What breed is he? It's very common in rexes as they only have thin fur on the bottom of the feet.

It could be sore hocks......what breed is your rabbit? Rex rabbits are prone to sore hocks.
My two are rexes and Audrey suffered in the past with sore hocks, with house buns apparently carpet is abrasive to thier feet. Sudocrem is a good help. The best thing is keep the feet as dry as possible on soft bedding, I have fleeces around the areas where my two run around the house. I also put soft bedding in their litter trays, so it is gentle on their feet.
There will probably be someone else on soon who will be able to help too. You could also try a search on the forum on "sore hocks"

HOpe your bun's hocks get better soon.

No he shouldn't need metacam. Rabbits do a tiny bald spot on the joint at the heel. It should be covered over with fur though - a bit like a comb over. If you were poking his feet and noticed it then it's probably just that.

Rabbits can also get sores on the bottom of their feet 'sore hocks' which can be from flooring. Long nails can attribute to it too.

What breed is he? It's very common in rexes as they only have thin fur on the bottom of the feet.

:) hes a lop. it was a comb over, just noticed it through his fur and ''parted it''. it did look red (well my o/h says pink) but had like a whiteish, scabby look to it?.

It could be sore hocks......what breed is your rabbit? Rex rabbits are prone to sore hocks.
My two are rexes and Audrey suffered in the past with sore hocks, with house buns apparently carpet is abrasive to thier feet. Sudocrem is a good help. The best thing is keep the feet as dry as possible on soft bedding, I have fleeces around the areas where my two run around the house. I also put soft bedding in their litter trays, so it is gentle on their feet.
There will probably be someone else on soon who will be able to help too. You could also try a search on the forum on "sore hocks"

HOpe your bun's hocks get better soon.

:wave:thankyou. is it ok for him to lick the sudocrem, or should i try and rub it in with a cotton bud?.
x

:wave: that thread was brill, im gonna take him to the vets, just to be sure. tamsins post has calmed me, although hes my baby and im always worried bout him.
x ohh p.s love your sig and carlton is lush:).

:wave: thanks! some of the posts i looked at when i did a search said you can dab a bit of sudocream on if you want! hope he's okay. :wave: let us know how you get on.

Back