• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilly's chin is all wet to her throat

Hi all,

Tilly had a dental about 3 weeks ago to have a molar spur removed, and has been eating/ drinking/ behaving fine, although often moving mouth around in an uncomfortable manner. I'd posted about her recently (hope link works!) -

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130217&highlight=worried+nothing?

She's not really been eating any hay over the past couple of days and I've just inspected her and she's wet all over her chin to her throat...

Are we looking at another dental so soon? I know that wet chins are a sign of drooling = mouth problem. I don't think she could get so wet by just having a drink?

What do you think? Another vet visit?

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated

Hi all,

Tilly had a dental about 3 weeks ago to have a molar spur removed, and has been eating/ drinking/ behaving fine, although often moving mouth around in an uncomfortable manner. I'd posted about her recently (hope link works!) -

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130217&highlight=worried+nothing?

She's not really been eating any hay over the past couple of days and I've just inspected her and she's wet all over her chin to her throat...

Are we looking at another dental so soon? I know that wet chins are a sign of drooling = mouth problem. I don't think she could get so wet by just having a drink?

What do you think? Another vet visit?

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated

I would advise you to take her to the Vets as she probably does have mouth pain. Does her jawline feel lumpy ? The pain may not be from more molar spurs but from more generalised pain in her jaw due to elongated tooth roots/ tooth root infection. She would definately benefit from some pain relief whatever the actual problem may be.

Good luck

Janex :)

Agree with Jane.

My bridge bunny did the whole circular jaw motion and it was very uncomfortable to see. One vet had fractured her jaw so she ended up with severe malocclusion. Her spurs would develop very quickly so I wouldn't rule it out even if she only had a dental 3 weeks ago.

they can get this way from drinking from a water bottle, so the easy way to find out is to give her water in a dish not a bottle, then you will know - it does sound likely it's her teeth if she's champing her mouth about though poor girl :(

Back