• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey is home med help (might be a job for Jane)

Bunnytod

Mama Doe
Got Honey home now she is not herself still, Been given prepulsid tablets, Fibreplex and metoclopramide. The vet is not sure what is wrong with her. I have to inject her every 6 hours with the metoclopramide feed her fibreplex 3 times a day and give her 1/1oth of prepulsid tablets twice a day. Has anyone got any idea's

Poor Honey :(

I am sorry I dont know the full story, not on RU as much as normal due to only having dial-up internet access :roll:

I assume Dental problems have been considered ?
What about pain relief ? Metoclopromide can actually cause gripey tummy pain so although its a necessary med analgesia is usually essential too.

What is going in and coming out of Honey now
Is she drinking?

Janex

Honey went in the vets yesterday with a hard and swollen tummy, Vets cant find anything wrong but agree there is something. Has had her teeth checked and dental has been ruled out.
Honey has been eating greens, She had to stay overnight at vets as they were not happy sending her home. She poo'd at the vets but that was the last time. that was at about 4.00pm. Not seen her drink yet but she has eaten a little bit.
I can tell just by looking at her that there is something not quite right. She has to go back in the morning.

if you give her some water in a dish, warmed with a bit from the kettle, will she drink it? will she eat pellets softened with a splash from the kettle and soaked 5 mins? Can you make her run about a bit to get her guts moving better?

PS - if her tum is swollen, usually it means there's a blockage, or too many 'bad' bacteria going mad in there - in which case a probiotic is 'good' bacteria, which will balance it out. If there is a blockage (which I would hope the vet checked!) she surely shouldn't have gut stimulants (metaclopromide and prepulsid), or her gut will rupture won't it? If she has gas then baby infacol, 1ml an hour, can help. She should also have been given painkillers - do you know what she had? I thought prepulsid had been banned as it causes heart problems too?

Last edited:
Sorry I lost internet access last night........

How is Honey this morning ?

I have found that subcutaneous fuid therapy makes an enrmous difference to Buns in GI Stasis. Once their gut stops working they start to absorb fluid from their gut contents which leaves a hard dehydrated lump of ingesta which exacerbates the problems. Sub/cut fluids stop the absorption of fluid from the guts. So I'd mention this to the Vets if they dont sugest it this morning.

Janex :)

She is looking better this morning. She has one injection to go. She has been given metacam and i have a syringe to give her water by mouth. I am just trying to get her moving more as all she want's to do is lie down.

I agree with Jane that fluids is what she needs, either sub-cut, or syringed, or like I said yesterday - will she drink from a bowl at all if you warm the water? without urgent fluids, preferably yesterday, she doesn't stand a chance, so please give her some or take her to the vets for some.

I just had 5 days of this with Dougal. He had to have IV fluid and pain relief and was in the vets the whole time. He had an antibiotic to kill excess bacteria.

They didn't even consider letting me treat him at home and I wouldn't have I don't think.
To get him to drink I put fruit juice in the warm water, and tried him on his favorite foods like fresh greens. It took him a week to get straight but he's almost normal now. :)

He was on metaclop, metacam, prepulsid and fluids at the vets. At home I was syringing warm peppermint tea, warm water and pineapple juice (although less frequently because he wasn't dehydrating)
The fluids made him get the runs but then he had a massive turn out and then it returned to normal afterwards. :)
While he was ill he would only eat fresh food, so I gave him whatever he wanted just to keep his gut moving.

Back