• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had to separate buns:(

CarmenCole

Mama Doe
And I thought it was going so well...

Nicholas seemed a little out of sorts today, when I picked him up, he had a scab on his belly and one under his right front leg. I have separated the four, putting Hunny and Mustard back into their smaller hutch and run (inside the big run).

I took Nicholas down to the vet, where he was given Baytril and Norocarp by injection and a 7 day course of Baytril. he is due to go back next week for a check on the bites.

I cant bond these four if there's gonna be fights like this.:cry: The worst thing is, it's JUST Hunny and Nicholas that fight. If the group had one, or the other, it would be fine, but they just can't share a space with each other.

Carmen

Last edited:
:( But it sounds like you have done the right thing in splitting them up. I am sorry it has not worked out and hope Nicholas soon heals up.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but if there's 2 seperate hutches they will fight over the hutches - you need a large shed for a group of 4, plus a large running space. Really pairs work better than groups I think - I'd never dare bond 2 pairs as you could well end up with 4 singles! or a big vet bill :( I was lucky that my group were ready bonded when I rescued them - all sisters.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but if there's 2 seperate hutches they will fight over the hutches - you need a large shed for a group of 4, plus a large running space. Really pairs work better than groups I think - I'd never dare bond 2 pairs as you could well end up with 4 singles! or a big vet bill :( I was lucky that my group were ready bonded when I rescued them - all sisters.

I had 2 hutches in a 9x6 walk in aviary. But even when the hutches were closed off during the day there was fighting. It seems neither one wanted to give in the top-bun position.

It's a shame, but they can live as 2 separate pairs if they have to - I can do that.

Carmen

Awwww its such ashame that you have had to split them - I know how upset about it you must feel but I am sure Tree will sort them out for you eventually - she is a great bonder - I just have the problems when I get my bunnies home AFTER she has bonded them for me and then I have to split them again - my lot are the worst ever for dominance and bonding :roll::lol:

Glad Nicholas is ok xxxx

Thanks

Tree said it may be that Hunny is a little hormonal still. It's only been 3 weeks since she was 'done'. She said she may be able to give me a hand in a couple of months to try again (when I have a little more confidence too!);). The man that supplied the aviary panels is making me 2 more panels, one with a door, so I have 2 walk in runs until we are ready to try again.

Nicholas has been amazing, a brilliant patient. He takes his antibiotics with no trouble and allows me to clean his wounds without wriggling. He is very friendly, no trouble atall.:love:

Carmen

Back