• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soft poos

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi :wave:
My rescue rabbit who Ive had for 4 weeks has started having soft poos. Ive checked his bum and that is clean but his cage has them in. I was wondering if it was the vegetables as previously he had only had carrots. Ive just been giving him a little bit of dif things every day. Should I stop with the veg and just give him hay and no pellets for a couple of days and see if it improves?? Hope someone can help

PS - this is what I said somewhere else - I'm saying it over and over today :lol:

Introducing veg MUST be done very gradually - one type of veg at a time (including grass) - just a small mouthful the first day, then nothing next day, then if their tum is OK another small mouthful and so on over the course of 2 weeks - ages! This it to give the gut bacteria time to multiply enough to digest it - otherwise they get overwhelmed and result is an upset tum.

What pellets is your bunny eating? Our Barney produced loads of soft poos when he was on Burgess Excel and I believe a few other people have had the same. I was convinced the veg was the problem and it took ages (duh) to realise the pellets were the cause.

PS We are holidaying in Alnwick this year!

What pellets is your bunny eating? Our Barney produced loads of soft poos when he was on Burgess Excel and I believe a few other people have had the same. I was convinced the veg was the problem and it took ages (duh) to realise the pellets were the cause.

PS We are holidaying in Alnwick this year!

yep I've just mentioned excel on a couple of other threads too - it's quite a common problem although nobody knows why :shock:

I have a feeling Excel is alfalfa based, I am sure this was too rich for Barney when we had him. He also had a problem with SS, which again I 'think' is alfalfa based. It was only when we tried him on Oxbow BB/T whch is Timmy hay based that his excess poops disappeared.

yep I've just mentioned excel on a couple of other threads too - it's quite a common problem although nobody knows why :shock:

He is on Burgess supa rabbit at the moment as that was what he was on when we got him. I am going to wean him off onto a pellet food rather than the mix.
Alnwick is a really lovely place for a holiday. Even more so if the weather is nice!

Back