• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you have a chubby bun...

AllForTheAnimals

Warren Scout
Sable has gotten quite chubby and I have already cut down her pellet ration could I put her on a hay and water diet once every other or three days?

Its best to keep a rabbit diet as consistent as possible so id suggest rathr just limiting her to nearly all hay with just a few veggies, grass or pellets added every day. Do this gradually though so she gets used to it, until the amount of stuff ontop of the hay is minimal

Her diet should be around 80% hay and only a handful of pellets plus daily veg (if they can stomach it). What pellets are you currently feeding her?:)

she is on a about 14% fiber pellets right now I think around there and she gets three oz of those unlimited hay and about an oz of veggies a day as she can't eat any more than that

You might want to cut down the pellets a bit more, 3oz sounds like a lot - depends on the rabbit though, is she a large breed?

14% fibre isn't brillant, and I'm guessing the protein content is quite high too, I'd have a look and see what other pellets are available, really you want pellets with as close as possible to 20% fibre or more and protein around 10-12%. I'm guessing you live in the US, but I think they should do science selective pellets by Surpreme.:)

ETA Though you do need to do a very gradual switch over the space of 2-3 weeks where you gradually increase the ratio of the new food vs old food.

Also what size is her cage and does she have access to a run?:)

her cage is something like 4long three wide and four tall she doesn't have access to a run but she gets daily exercise like two or three hours spread out I just checked and the fiber percent is actually 21% and the protein is 11% wierd I was off pretty big:oops: she gets lots of hay and grass actually 3oz isn't really that much it dosn't even fill her bowl up and it is only about four inches wide and two and a half inches deep it covers about half an inch deep and all the way across she is actually on the best feed I could find I went to every feed store pet store etc to find a good one I forget the brand but i'll find out in a bit

You might want to cut down the pellets a bit more, 3oz sounds like a lot - depends on the rabbit though, is she a large breed?

she is a Mini Rex and actually 3oz isn't really that much it doesn't even fill her bowl up and it is only about four inches wide and two and a half inches deep it covers about half an inch deep and all the way across

Those pellets sound about right, but she only needs 1/2 a cup per 6Ibs of rabbit if I remember correctly, someone correct me if I' wrong!:oops: With a little less for giants and a little more generally needed for the very small.

Her cage is a little small to be shut up in for 21 hours a day, could you maybe get her a secure run to attach onto the cage?:)

my single bunny Benny is getting a bit older and inclined to get chubby - he has 2 handfuls fresh hay a day (his body size in total) a very small amount of veg - just a slice of fattening carrot, and half a leaf of greens, plus a few strands of long grass - he's not that keen on veg. But his pellets are really just a token or treat for him - he doesn't need them but he expects them, so he only gets around 20 pellets morning and evening - and he's still not skinny! It is best to keep their daily diet the same though, or the stomach bacteria can get overwhelmed and cause problems.

she is a Mini Rex and actually 3oz isn't really that much it doesn't even fill her bowl up and it is only about four inches wide and two and a half inches deep it covers about half an inch deep and all the way across

that is waaaaay too much :shock: She needs her own body size in hay fresh daily, but just a few teaspoons of pellets in total - about half what she's getting now.

I'm glad I know that now:oops: everybody in the 4-H was telling me ATLEAST that much :shock: but I didn't want to giver her anymore but know I know ok so what feed shcedule should I put her on like put in a list of what she should be getting please

I'm glad I know that now:oops: everybody in the 4-H was telling me ATLEAST that much :shock: but I didn't want to giver her anymore but know I know ok so what feed shcedule should I put her on like put in a list of what she should be getting please

see my post at the bottom of page one :)

When I was trying to help a chubby bunny lose weight, I didn't give her any food in a bowl, but spread it around her run so she had to exercise alot more. Maybe you could have a go at that :wave:

my single bunny Benny is getting a bit older and inclined to get chubby - he has 2 handfuls fresh hay a day (his body size in total) a very small amount of veg - just a slice of fattening carrot, and half a leaf of greens, plus a few strands of long grass - he's not that keen on veg. But his pellets are really just a token or treat for him - he doesn't need them but he expects them, so he only gets around 20 pellets morning and evening - and he's still not skinny! It is best to keep their daily diet the same though, or the stomach bacteria can get overwhelmed and cause problems.

Thanks I'll try that diet it sounds good I have been giving her more exercise than normal and she is losing some wieght anybody ever heard of a 6lb Mini Rex!! thats what sable was but now she's 4 and 1/2:lol:

You do also need to make sure that they don't lose weight too quickly though as that can cause liver disease - a nice slow, steady rate by cutting down the pellets and increasing the exercise should do it. I agree with the others, as long as she's a healthy, normal adult bun - not pregnant or lactating - she doesn't need anywhere near as many pellets as that, but she needs constant access to hay - but not alfalfa hay.

for comparison, 3oz is 75g, and my buns get about 10g daily.

it can be hard to judge at first as the recommendations on the packet are often way too much :rolleyes: but less would definitely be good - it will also encourage her to eat more hay which will keep her teeth worm down nicely :)

Ah 4H are a load of kids who breed animals in small cages as a 'project', from my experience they seem to know very little about basic pet care as all their animals are used for breeding so would need higher protein from pelleted food. Infact, I've found they know very little in general and I have yet to get one to agree that rabbits need space and toys!:roll: Sorry if that offends anyone but i am so against the whole ethics of 4H, its just wrong!

Ah 4H are a load of kids who breed animals in small cages as a 'project', from my experience they seem to know very little about basic pet care as all their animals are used for breeding so would need higher protein from pelleted food. Infact, I've found they know very little in general and I have yet to get one to agree that rabbits need space and toys!:roll: Sorry if that offends anyone but i am so against the whole ethics of 4H, its just wrong!

I know what you mean but not everyones like that I have met many friends there and their buns even get treats at the shows just as mine do I hope you give 4-H a second chance (well the people in it) because not everyones like that there

Back